Page 3 of 62 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Re: Gail's garter - the snake kind silly.

Thanks Steve, I need input on this. The care sheets give you basic info and since most of you guys have been doing this for quite awhile I need your input on this so I can keep her healthy and happy. I'm use to feeding my frogs,toads,cats and husband every day so it's kinda hard for me NOT to feed her.

*sigh* All I find is conflicting info about feeding. Some say feed one huge meal once a week, others say feed 2 to 3 small meals once a week. Ok, what's a small meal then? One pinkie, one worm, one piece of fish filet? What would she do if she was in the wild? Is there a science to this or is it hit and miss with each individual snake? I gave her a pinkie tonight and she took it will no problem. I just put her on the kitchen counter on a napkin and pinkie taken. Worse case scenario?

dinner.jpgdinner II.jpgdinner III.jpg

I think for many garter snakes it feast or famine. During good times they probably fill up and during the lean times they starve.
    The conflicting info. is due to the fact most keepers adjust feeding amounts to each snake. I would think your snake could eat 5 of those pinkies without any problem.
    Most garters don't even look like they've eaten 24 hours afterwards. Your will need to try some different eating schedules and see what works for her. If they get a nice bulge at eating time they should be fine.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

So there really isn't any set rule for feeding then, as long as I feed garter approved items, i.e. pinkies, earthworms, tilapia. And as long as what goes in comes out I'm good to go......sorta speaking. And should I still use calcium supplements even though the pinkies have bones in them which would supply calcium to her in a natural way. Multi vitamins twice a month? I'm just trying to write out a schedule for her as I have done with my amphibians. This way I don't have to second guess my self. Oh and by the way, she is a BLAST to hang out with. I love watching her watch my cats, and she is NOT afraid of them at all!

This is becoming the evening routine. After dinner watch a little TV while handling Zena and letting her run between my fingers until she is finished with her exercises and decides to settle down in my lap. I can not believe she is so sweet for a wild caught snake. I'm so glad I took her in. The end of her tail seems to still be very sensitive.Zena 5-2-12.jpgZena 5-2-12a.jpgZena 5-2-12b.jpg

From what I could see.
    Supralabials 7
    Lateral rows 2 and 3
    This is consistent with T.sirtalis
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Lovely snake
    Garters are probably the friendliest of all the wild snakes I've ever handled.

On a random side note, are you from the NC Winston Salem? I live in central NC as well. I've never seen a reptile rescue anywhere though, it's cool that you have one near you.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

Not sure what language you are speaking, but ok?
    Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    From what I could see.
    Supralabials 7
    Lateral rows 2 and 3
    This is consistent with T.sirtalis

Yup, in W-S. Here's the rescue link. about us - Turtle,snake,and lizard Reptile Rescue Center
    Quote Originally Posted by d_virginiana View Post
    Lovely snake
    Garters are probably the friendliest of all the wild snakes I've ever handled.

On a random side note, are you from the NC Winston Salem? I live in central NC as well. I've never seen a reptile rescue anywhere though, it's cool that you have one near you.

Gail, the tank you have is the one that I have...I love them...I actually have two of them and plan to get more. I love the slide lock lids because they are so escape proof. The language that Steve is speaking is the language of snake identification. He is talking about the different kind of scales on the snake...mainly the scales on upper lip of the snakes mouth and the scales located under the stripe going down the middle of the snake's back...we count those scales to identify species and subspecies in garters. There is a book, The Garter Snakes: Evolution and Ecology, by Rossman, Ford, and Seigel, that is available on Amazon that we use as sort of our bible for garters. It's really the best book around for garter info. It explains all of the identification stuff. As far as feeding goes, you will get the hang of it. It is one of those things that you have to kind of feel out with experience...for now, I would say why don't you try feeding her every 5 days. Alternate between fish and worms and pinkies each feeding...that's what I do. Give her enough food until you see a nice bulge in her tummy. Like I said, I feed Cee Cee about two pinkies worth of food every 5 days. Zena looks to be about Cee Cee's size. If you feed her fish, just try to size it out to be about the same amount as two pinkies worth. If you give her worms...I would say that probably 3-4 nice size worms would be good....but just watch that tummy bulge, if she looks nice and full after 3 worms, you can stop feeding her. You will get the hang of it, I promise. I know it's tough at first...I was confused too.

As far as supplements go...some people use them and some people don't...it's a judgement call. Some people think the food provides enough nutrients, some don't. I dust the food with a little calcium and D3 powder every fourth feeding with my snakes. If you want the name of the supplement or more specific instructions on how to use it...just ask.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe