Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    "PM Boots For Custom Title" BUSHSNAKE's Avatar

Re: Understanding breeding norms

as far as snakes go many morphs have been borrowed from another species thru cross breeding...many of the brook king morphs, albino speckled kings, albino greybands and so on are all thought to have borrowed a gene from another species cuz nobody has heard of a whitesided brooks or albino speckled king come from the wild. And the whole Avicularia situation...they are so variable which makes identification impoosible but ive never seen hybrid avics in the hobby.

Well from what I understand, crossbreeding is accepted in the breeding of other kinds of snakes...right? They crossbreed pythons and boas don't they?
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Didymus20X6's Avatar

Do they? Boas and pythons are not closely related at all; I didn't think it was even possible to cross-breed them, as they are genetically too dissimilar.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff.

No...I mean within pythons and within boas...not crossbreeding pythons to boas. I mean I think that they crossbreed within species of pythons and within species of boas.
    Marnie
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Didymus20X6 View Post
    Do they? Boas and pythons are not closely related at all; I didn't think it was even possible to cross-breed them, as they are genetically too dissimilar.
    its been recently thought that it could be possible after two different species of sand boa (one live bearing and one egg laying) managed to breed and give birth to live offspring. This was a complete mistake and was never intended. The theory hasn't been tested yet. I know that some species have a completely different genetic code though, so its still doubtful in my mind as to if its possible. They have crossed different species of Python though, such as blood and royal Pythons if that's what you are referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHSNAKE View Post
    as far as snakes go many morphs have been borrowed from another species thru cross breeding...many of the brook king morphs, albino speckled kings, albino greybands and so on are all thought to have borrowed a gene from another species cuz nobody has heard of a whitesided brooks or albino speckled king come from the wild. And the whole Avicularia situation...they are so variable which makes identification impoosible but ive never seen hybrid avics in the hobby.
    that's kind of what I was getting at. Species of Avicularia such as Avicularia versicolor are visually different and do not need to be put under a microscope for identification. Avicularia avicularia how ever are just gathered from the wild and as so many different localities look nearly identical they are simply labeled up pink toe and sold in a pet shop which wouldn't be able to tell the difference even if the Tarantula could tell them. As a result many are then bred together and the offspring are sold on as A.avicularia and not as possible hybrids. I've heard of it in Brachypelma too.

Yes...from what I understand...they don't follow the same strict norms that we follow with pythons in terms of not crossbreeding species...they crossbreed in order to get some of the morphs that they have, right?
    Marnie

Quote Originally Posted by EasternGirl View Post
    Yes...from what I understand...they don't follow the same strict norms that we follow with pythons in terms of not crossbreeding species...they crossbreed in order to get some of the morphs that they have, right?
    sometimes from what I understand. Although cross breeding, even to get a morph, still produces a hybrid. I'm not a morph fan to be honest, and I don't agree with it. I prefer my snakes as nature intended.

I am a purest and don't want any intentional crossing of the species/subspecies. Nature allows for it in overlapping ranges but to intentionally place two snake together from very different ranges is wrong.
    This is just my opinion. No disrespect intended toward anyone.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Smells Like Teen Spirit Invisible Snake's Avatar

I am not 100% against controlled cross breeding, you never know you might come up with a new kind of snake