Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: what snake?

Re: what snake?

Oh you guys are making me jealous! I would love to have a San Fran or an Infernalis! Mark...something to keep in mind...San Frans and Infernalis are aggressive by nature. Not very friendly garters! Some people like that...or don't mind it, anyway. But, if you are looking for a friendly garter that you can handle, those usually are not the way to go.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

And today’s episode of SNAKE HOARDERS will be at the T. Radix Ranch.
    Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    Sorry, all snake filled clouds must rain down on the Ranch.

"Preparing For Second shed" mark cope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EasternGirl View Post
    Oh you guys are making me jealous! I would love to have a San Fran or an Infernalis! Mark...something to keep in mind...San Frans and Infernalis are aggressive by nature. Not very friendly garters! Some people like that...or don't mind it, anyway. But, if you are looking for a friendly garter that you can handle, those usually are not the way to go.
    It is something I will have to to look into ..........but it is such a beautiful looking snake

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Mark - I don't know anyone who has confirmed that they will have tetrataenia litters in the UK. There's a few who may have them. A good bet is to search on the RFUK classifieds, not for whavis available now, but for people who bred them last year - there's a fair chance they'll be breeding again this year.
    I've not handled an infernalis, but I have handled a tetrataenia and she wasn't aggressive. She was nervous, but not aggressive. Certainly no more flighty than our Cuitzeos. It may be that the tetra I handled was calm for the species.

If you're looking forward good handling garter I'd recommend radix or marcianus. It depends what you want, if you want a stunningly good-looking snake a tetra fits the bill.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

"Preparing For Second shed" mark cope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chris-uk View Post
    Mark - I don't know anyone who has confirmed that they will have tetrataenia litters in the UK. There's a few who may have them. A good bet is to search on the RFUK classifieds, not for whavis available now, but for people who bred them last year - there's a fair chance they'll be breeding again this year.
    I've not handled an infernalis, but I have handled a tetrataenia and she wasn't aggressive. She was nervous, but not aggressive. Certainly no more flighty than our Cuitzeos. It may be that the tetra I handled was calm for the species.

If you're looking forward good handling garter I'd recommend radix or marcianus. It depends what you want, if you want a stunningly good-looking snake a tetra fits the bill.
    my son Joe has an Eastern

does'nt seem to mind being handled

but the Tetra would be mine.

Banned

Just an opinion but I don't think that's an eastern. I think it's a T. sirtalis parietalis ^^^ probably. Maybe. Oh nevermind!

Quote Originally Posted by Natrix View Post
    Cold and wet here atm. Gone from Warm and Sunny to Cold and Snowy in 24hrs?
    Oh sure. Why not. I live in the Mojave desert. (California) 6 inches of snow on Monday, sunny and +28 C degrees on Wednesday, -8 C on Friday. It's like that.

Oh I agree that San Frans and Infernalis are gorgeous snakes...I would love to have one of each...and I wouldn't care if they were aggressive. I have heard that they are...but I am sure there are exceptions to that. I don't think that is an eastern either. But I keep getting surprised by easterns that are very different looking than the ones I am used to seeing.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Banned

It wouldn't surprise me if it was an eastern, I just don't think it is one though. If it's not a parietalis then it's probably a northern garter.

T.marcianus-Supralabials 8, lateral stripe confined to 3rd dorsal scale row on neck (rows 2 and 3 thereafter)

T.sirtalis- Supralabials usually 7, lateral stripe usually confined to dorsal scale row 2 and 3

Info. from: The Garter Snake- Ecology and Evolution by Ross, Ford and Seigel
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Banned

The question was Steve, is it an eastern or a red sided . (which are both sirtalis' as you know) I think it's the latter, in spite of the lack of red. That's why I made the reference to "northern" garter. It looks like the "northern" garter we saw before, which was really just a T. s. parietalis that lacked red. I think something similar happened here. I think he has a red sided here but came to the conclusion that it's an eastern just because it doesn't have red. Of course, if it was found well outside the range for parietalis than it must be an eastern. It just gives me the strong impression that it's a red sided (T. s. parietalis)