Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Lighting for Albinos

So there is really no way to encourage him to come out more during the day. I'm pretty much just looking at providing ample heat for him...I'm not worrying about regulating light...or night/day cycles for him like I do with my other snakes. Is that correct?
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Banned

Day / night cycles should still be observed. Day length (an indicator of the season) still has a regulating effect on breeding / brumating behavior and appetite. Checkereds in the southern portion of their range are often active year 'round since if it's warm enough but the day length lets them know what time of year it is. Erratic on/off times still confuses them. With my nocturnal albinos, I just run a red bulb for half the night if I want to watch their night time activity. They're usually most active in the 3-4 hours right after dark.

SCOUSER

Marnie just to make things even more complicated have you considered that your snake might be one of those that is just a bit more shy and retiring and it may have little to do with being albino or his light levels.
    we have all come across this type of snake, exits the hide eats goes back into hide till next feed.....just thought i would throw this in to wreck your head
    ​I'm not actually a gynecologist...but i'll take a look.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PINJOHN View Post
    Marnie just to make things even more complicated have you considered that your snake might be one of those that is just a bit more shy and retiring and it may have little to do with being albino or his light levels.
    we have all come across this type of snake, exits the hide eats goes back into hide till next feed
    Yeah, that happens. I usually sell them off or give them away though. If I wanted a reclusive lump to feed, I wouldn't be keeping garters.

"Third shed In Progress" kimbosaur's Avatar

A bit of an old pic, but it's just too cute to not share. Didn't know where else to post this.

How to bask comfortably when you're an albino:

Reminds me of:
    kimberly

Cute!
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla

Love the hides. More green enclosures.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Banned

Yeah, and if they ever need to freshen their breath, or if they need cold relief, they don't need to go far. LoL

"Third shed In Progress" kimbosaur's Avatar

Hehe. Unfortunately, I had to retire the Vapo-rub hide which was their absolute favourite. So much so that they never wanted to leave...even to use the bathroom.
    kimberly

I had to retire Cee Cee's favorite slim jim can hide and they don't make the cans anymore. Getting ready to have to find a new favorite hide for Sadie too. She loves her Nike shoebox hide...but someone keeps pooping on the top of it and it is starting to cave in a bit...lol.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe