Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: mixed breed?

Re: mixed breed?

Something to remember here, Maritime garters (T.s.palidullus) and Eastern garters (T.s.sirtalis) are just subspecies.....not only that they are subspecies that regularily inhabit the same areas and more then likely do hybirdize in nature. I don't think this is anywhere near the crossing of the Redsided (T.s.parietalis) and was it a Checkered (T.marcianus) that was discussed earlier....where you're crossing species. I'm also not a fan of "forced" hybrids....meaning hybrids that would NOT happen in nature. A lot of the corn, king, milk, bull crosses that are going around these days does upset me some. We're basically creating "designer" snakes, making something that would never occur in nature. But then again we're not doing this to release them back into the wild, and they're just for the pet industry, so if there really harm in it. I mean years ago, when albino burmese pythons were being first bred, many were born with out eyes (this was carried along with the recessive gene for albinism), but eventually this was bred out of them and now it's nothing to see an albino burm. I think it just comes down to personal choice and how we see the animals. Some see them as great creatures, no different then a cat or dog and want to try and see what they can do with them..to make them prettier or bigger or whatever....others, like myself, prefer to think of them as a bit of nature that I have to share my life with. In the end it's not so much right or wrong, it's more about personal choice. So there's my two cents....spend it wisely.

Roy
    Roy
    0.1 T.s.pallidulus

Let's not get carried away here, we're all pretty much treating animals as if they are toys.
    Can some of us really help this? Perhaps keeping pets is a high level of enjoyment. Like people who play sports event though they have an injured leg that could go at anytime. No matter how many doctors tell them off they're still going to play, for the love of the sport. May be that's how the extreme Hybridize-rs are like. They can't really help it, it's just how their mind was developed.I know it's kind of complicated, and i'm not agreeing or disagreeing, but they way you were brought up makes up for a lot more decisions than you think.
    Quadruple Sport Enthusiast
    Wrestling
    Track
    Soccer
    Cross Country

Quote Originally Posted by GarterGuy View Post
    Something to remember here, Maritime garters (T.s.palidullus) and Eastern garters (T.s.sirtalis) are just subspecies.....
    oh, right
    we were starting out with sex in Terry's tank
    clearly not one of the abovementioned extremes of perversity
    I think i may have only vaguely remembered that
    thanks Roy
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain