Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    "First shed In Progress" RedSided's Avatar

Re: hey guys new here-and i need help!

Getting your first snake is pretty exciting , you will find that once you've got one and other owners and breeders in the area know you have one , you will walk into the pet store one day and someone will offer you a friend for your garter or tell you about someone who is looking to re-home another snake and so on and so on......

It sounds like you are gonna have one lucky snake on your hands .
    Its good that you've asked all these questions rather than risking making mistakes later on.

This may have already been asked but what type of garter is it likely to be, can you google some pics and post the ones that look most like what you may be getting?
    Does your water bowl look like a toilet, it does? Guess I will have to change it again

"First shed In Progress"

Quote Originally Posted by RedSided View Post
    Getting your first snake is pretty exciting , you will find that once you've got one and other owners and breeders in the area know you have one , you will walk into the pet store one day and someone will offer you a friend for your garter or tell you about someone who is looking to re-home another snake and so on and so on......

It sounds like you are gonna have one lucky snake on your hands .
    Its good that you've asked all these questions rather than risking making mistakes later on.

This may have already been asked but what type of garter is it likely to be, can you google some pics and post the ones that look most like what you may be getting?
    im 90% sure its a wandering garter snake, for some reason i cant paste things into this text so i cant show a picture =[
    but the picture in "ssssnakeluvr" on his avatar-that looks exactly like it, i'm not sure if its a wandering one though yet

Im not very knowlageable on the habitats of all the different garter variations , but im pretty sure Wandering garters are big fans of slighly cooler climates and seeing as you live in Canada it would make sense that these are the snakes you are seeing .
    Does your water bowl look like a toilet, it does? Guess I will have to change it again

"First shed In Progress"

Im not very knowlageable on the habitats of all the different garter variations , but im pretty sure Wandering garters are big fans of slighly cooler climates and seeing as you live in Canada it would make sense that these are the snakes you are seeing .
    ya im kinda worried though-the place where we catch them is a sewage tunnel, theres a bunch of rocks around it and they hide under the rocks-last year there was a flood that went over the rocks

the rocks r strill there and everything but do u think the snakes all got washed away?

the rocks where they hibernate under is like 6 ft deep and has wire mesh around it, the babies r usually found basking on them or under little rocks at the sides.

How long have you been seeing the snakes there?

If they are there every year then I wouldn't worry. They are not affraid of a little water and will most likely still be around.Didn't you also say you could get one from a pet store?

"First shed In Progress"

How long have you been seeing the snakes there?

If they are there every year then I wouldn't worry. They are not affraid of a little water and will most likely still be around.Didn't you also say you could get one from a pet store?
    i started trying to catch them since i was 6, so as far as i know they have been there over 9 years

i checked 2 of the neighborhood petlands, and they only have corn snakes =[

do you know what the differences are between garters and corn snakes?

i heard corns get like 6ft long =\

Hello and welcome!
    I just wanted to ad, that when I had garter babies, they didn't know how to fish. After a couple of days, I put a fresh killed one on the edge of the water bowl, then left one slightly in the water. I did this with a couple live guppies in the bowl. And now they can't wait for me to put fish in. They actually get in the water bowl when they see the fish net. I feed them as much as they'll eat, every 2 days.

the snake in my avatar is an albino red sided garter....

this is the snake in my avatar.....

Man, that red looks practically "electric!" Nice photo,

Rick