Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Substrate

Hi, I'm New Here!

Re: Substrate

hahaa yeah i know all of the basic substrates used pretty much every substrate except the different ones.. pellets etc...

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BUSHSNAKE's Avatar

i like cypress mulch mixed with spagnum moss, its been working awesome, its great for controling the humidity which should be about 75% in my opinion

But don't you have to worry about snakes getting skin rot if it is too moist?
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BUSHSNAKE's Avatar

if you put moist spagnum moss in a bowl and put it in your enclosure it will raise the humidity as it dries out, and your animal isnt sitting on wet substrate. Im basically doing the same thing in my own way. i spray a section of the substrate or a bunch up ball of moss just enough so it could be dried out the next day. the humidity stays up and the snakes are not on wet substrate, the snakes' skin stays healthy and everyones happy!

Thanks Joe...I'm going to try that to get my humidity up...been concerned about the humidity level in my enclosures.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Jeff B's Avatar

I agree Joe, humidity should be higher than most have, especially if carefreh or any other bone dry substrate is used with screen lid and dry heated home in the winter. I keep the room humidity right around 75% in my snake room. I have a 125 gallon fish tank in the snake room that adds humidity, but I still run a humidifier in Feb. sometimes and in the summer I will run a dehumidifier in the basement if it gets a little too high. I'm sure you get nice sheds with that cypress/spagnum substrate, as do I by maintaining the room humidity around 75%.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
    I agree Joe, humidity should be higher than most have, especially if carefreh or any other bone dry substrate is used with screen lid and dry heated home in the winter. I keep the room humidity right around 75% in my snake room. I have a 125 gallon fish tank in the snake room that adds humidity, but I still run a humidifier in Feb. sometimes and in the summer I will run a dehumidifier in the basement if it gets a little too high. I'm sure you get nice sheds with that cypress/spagnum substrate, as do I by maintaining the room humidity around 75%.
    This is what I do (somewhat) we have baseboard radiant heat, this does not suck away humidity like forced air heat does, The supplimental space heater always has a pot of water on top to keep humidity up.

Great reply by the way.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Jeff B's Avatar

That is a great idea Wayne. I am actually in the process of installing/wiring a baseboard heater in my snake room (actually bought all the stuff and started it last winter but then school got in the way) anyway I hope to finishing installing in the next couple weeks. I was going to put a fan near it to circulate the heat a bit and putting a pot of water on it will keep the fan from drying things out. The thermostate will be a digital room thermo mounted in the wall about 6 ft away. I usually run a fan in there in the summer anyway so it doesn't get stuffy.

The house had a boiler system in it when I moved in. I love it..

Not as fast to warm up as forced air is, but I have never been zapped by a doorknob or lightswitch either.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by EasternGirl View Post
    But don't you have to worry about snakes getting skin rot if it is too moist?
    The key here is to dampen, not soak. And also, like Joe was saying, it should dry out completely in a day or two. Problems arise when the substrate remains damp for a long time, and/or the entire bottom is constantly damp, allowing mold and bacteria to multiply, or if the snake is forced to sit on damp substrate all the time. The method he described is essential for keeping newborn baby northwesterns. I just don't have luck with them at all when conditions are too dry/low humidity.