Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    "PM Boots For Custom Title" BUSHSNAKE's Avatar

Re: First breedings of 2013

cool pairings Ed.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BLUESIRTALIS View Post
    Richard, i think the reason why all the breeders who purchased the babies from this high white female pied are confident that they will produce pieds is because of how high white the female was and they feel something that dramtic should be recessive since it has already been proven in other snakes. The reason scott is expecting some this year is because he is one of a few that had both males and females survive to adults so if it is recessive and he is breeding both 100% het male and 100% het females to each other he should produce some pieds this year and prove the pieds out. At least this is what he is hoping for and i can't wait to see some of the babies.
    OK. Finally something that makes sense. One thing that's problematic though...

Even if it is truly a recessive inheritable trait, there's still a chance that hets won't produce any pieds. I admit, it's not a very good chance, particularly if the litter is large. The more babies there are, the better chances that at least one of them will be pied but it's definitely possible for the babies to inherit the normal gene from both parents, or the abnormal gene from only one of them, making them look totally normal. Only if this breeding produces at least one pied, will we then really know if it's inheritable.

I guess we'll know soon enough whether or not this pair was just the most expensive normals on the planet. As of right now, it's still totally unproven.

I thought he had proven out the pieds already.
    -Greg
    1.1T.s. concinnus, 1.1 T.s. parietalis, 1.0 T.s. semifasciatus, 0.1 T. radix
    "Garters are predictable. Predictably variable" - Neil Balchan

Banned

Apparently not since the trait hasn't been reproduced. I think what's going on is that Scott is expecting a litter from his sibling pair. They look normal, but are the offspring of a pied. In order to prove the trait, they need to produce at least one pied but that hasn't happened just yet. And like I said, even if it is inheritable, there's a chance they could still not produce any pieds this year.

Adult snake

I just don't get the whole pied thing anyway. Who wants a snake with a broken pattern? Some of the pied royals look alright, but the few pictures I've seen of pied garters leave much to be desired.
    Not that Steve, a different Steve

What's crazy is that on his site, if you look at the pieds for sale for preordering, it says that they are sold out. If he can't prove them, he will be in more trouble than a flightless turkey at a shooting range on Thanksgiving.
    -Greg

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Greg'sGarters View Post
    What's crazy is that on his site, if you look at the pieds for sale for preordering, it says that they are sold out. If he can't prove them, he will be in more trouble than a flightless turkey at a shooting range on Thanksgiving.

That simply means he's not taking any more pre-orders for them. If none are produced, nor not enough to fill the pre-orders, then obviously people get their money back. Keep in mind he doesn't require full payment up front. It's something similar to what dog breeders do. You can put down a deposit to reserve a pup before they are actually ready to wean.

Also means that if you aren't on that pre-order list already, you can "dream on" about getting one even if they are produced.

I can understand why he would do pre-ordering. It would avoid a major "crunch" when they are born and he'll be busy enough at that time as it is.

For example, last season I was busier than a one-legged man in an *** kicking contest because I had to deal with taking care of all those babies, AND dealing with orders/incoming inquiries, and making deals, answering PM's etc, all at the same time. This caused quite a few hassles, and delayed promised shipping dates too. If I had done pre-ordering, (I have no intention of doing that ever) I could concentrate on just taking care of them, and getting them shipped out.
    Last edited by ConcinusMan; 01-14-2013 at 05:25 PM.

But he majorly advertised the fact that he will have them this year, it's not just about the money, but also the fact that he is advertising them when there is no guarantee.
    -Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg'sGarters View Post
    But he majorly advertised the fact that he will have them this year, it's not just about the money, but also the fact that he is advertising them when there is no guarantee.

Nothing wrong with that. If he takes pre-orders and it doesn't happen he'll take care of his customers. No different then dog breeders taking pre-orders on dogs that haven't been produced yet.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Banned

Exactly. When you're expecting an overwhelming demand for a finite number of animals, pre-ordering makes sense.