Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Edgy Exotic Reptiles EdgyExoticReptiles's Avatar

Re: Wild Garter -- Care Suggestions

i fed my babies 5-10 (as many as they would eat) rosies twice a week they would usually only eat around 8 or 9
    Email:reed@edgyexoticreptiles.com
    http://www.edgyexoticreptiles.com

if you want to get ther to take f/t fish eventually, you could try tossing some minnow sized pieces into the bowl with her minnows
    once she takes those, you can change the ratio
    that's how I got my "won't eat anything dead" concinnus to take pinkies
    this past week for the first time she took the pinkies even though the two minnows in her bowl were also f/t
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

Hi, I'm New Here!

Garter snakes look really alien with the cloudy blue eyes.

And she's in a -really- rotten mood.

About how long after her eyes turn blue can I expect that she'll shed? Or maybe I should ask how long before her eyes clear and then she sheds?

What is best for her to have to rub on to help with the shed? She has a rock and a stick in there.

I would like my sweet little snake back, though I can understand why she's so jumpy, considering what color her eyes turned. She looks creepy and alien.

Edgy Exotic Reptiles EdgyExoticReptiles's Avatar

try to leave her alone when shes in shed and in a couple days her eyes will clear then its usually 1-3 days after that when she sheds, make sure the humidity is not to low, a rock and a stick are good just something ruff or sharp is fine, make sure if you take these things from outside to boil them in water to rid of parasites and bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by gwynhwyfar View Post
    Garter snakes look really alien with the cloudy blue eyes.

And she's in a -really- rotten mood.

About how long after her eyes turn blue can I expect that she'll shed? Or maybe I should ask how long before her eyes clear and then she sheds?

What is best for her to have to rub on to help with the shed? She has a rock and a stick in there.

I would like my sweet little snake back, though I can understand why she's so jumpy, considering what color her eyes turned. She looks creepy and alien.
    Email:reed@edgyexoticreptiles.com
    http://www.edgyexoticreptiles.com

the only thing you could add to give her all shedding conveniences, is a damp hide, if she doesn't have one
    I make mine out of appropriately sized food storage containers with damp moss inside and a hole cut in the lid
    some of my snakes totally ignore them, but most love them, particularly when in shed
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

Hi, I'm New Here!

I haven't been poking at her, but whenever I take the lid off to the cage, she comes lunging up out of the substrate and zips around in circles like a crazy creature. Since I change the water daily, that means that I've been treated to a daily vision of her speeding around and around the enclosure while looking like an alien critter. The blue eyes are creepy!

My bedroom itself is fairly humid (I run a humidifier all winter because of health issues).

Her rock and stick came from outside and were boiled before I put them into the tank. No ickies!

Quote Originally Posted by reed_Kamsler View Post
    try to leave her alone when shes in shed and in a couple days her eyes will clear then its usually 1-3 days after that when she sheds, make sure the humidity is not to low, a rock and a stick are good just something ruff or sharp is fine, make sure if you take these things from outside to boil them in water to rid of parasites and bugs

Hi, I'm New Here!

Ooo! That's a good idea for a hide! I think that she'll love it, even when she isn't in shed. Probably not more than burrowing in the substrate, but still ... (She makes me wonder if garter snakes are all so fond of burrowing or if it's just her!) Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by drache View Post
    the only thing you could add to give her all shedding conveniences, is a damp hide, if she doesn't have one
    I make mine out of appropriately sized food storage containers with damp moss inside and a hole cut in the lid
    some of my snakes totally ignore them, but most love them, particularly when in shed

I think they all love to burrow, and it's SO cute!

Lori, New Hope Rescue-- rescuing equines and others
    www.newhoperescueva.com

"Third shed, A Success" tikichick's Avatar

My babies burrow like there's no tomorrow! Cute pic!!!!
    "Mai kolohe i ka mo' o o lele ka pali" -
    Do not bother lizards or you'll fall off a cliff.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Yay! She shed and is in a much better mood now. I gave the shed skin to my god-son as part of his Christmas gift and he's totally thrilled (he's 8).

So now I have another question ... when they call worms 'dilly,' what do they mean? I want to alternate her food between fish and worms, since I know that even rosy reds have issues, but the smallest worms the bait shop has that aren't red wrigglers are called 'dilly worms.' They said that they're just small nightcrawlers. Are they safe for her? The nightcrawlers they have are HUGE and only come in a 2-dozen pack, which would take her ages to eat, since each of the worms is close to half her length.

Thanks!