Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: we got an anole

Re: we got an anole

congratulations!
    what a nice find
    and may the little guy thrive
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

"First shed In Progress" krystalirelan@southslope.'s Avatar

looking back to see when the last guy was born b/c i have a new one.
    we had a run of bad anole luck. the little guy died. the mom died and then the dad died. so i had a 10 gallon plant pot for a while then we got another anole at the dreaded PetCo. the other day we found a baby anole in there!
    I can only guess we got a female anole and she laid egg(s). This time I am leaving him alone and I put fruit flies in there for him. He is already HUGE compared to the other one. wish me luck in keeping him and mommy alive!
    Krystal

The Leader of the Eastern Gang anji1971's Avatar

Nice surprise!
    Hope he grows up healthy and strong!
    Anji

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Nice! you are teh second person I have seen get an anole from a plant! haha!

Anoles are a leeetttle lizard. not quite a snake.

I believe the smallest snake award actually goes to black blind worm snakes... as adults supposedly reach 1.5 inches! they also reproduce asexually, meaning they don't need a mate!

hard to beleive thats a snake eh?
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

oh wow... this thread is old! oops! haha
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Good luck Krystal...feed him some of these flies and mosquitos that our midwestern floods have brought us.
    Jerry

Seemed like the best place to put this.

Our Anoles are roughly a year old, have a male female pair, They have bred, but mom keeps breaking the eggs open.

I enjoy these tiny lizards, and discussed it with Dorothy just last night how I wish to build a much larger enclosure and plant a mini rain forest in it.

The Crickets are breeding like crazy, and I thought that the baby crickets would make great food items for some tiny Anoles.

Really hope that maybe with the proper conditions the mom would quit smashing her eggs.

Got the first one back in December 07, so I must be doing something remotely correct since he is still here.

As for handling them, Never would even try... Far too stressful on the animal. Great "display" critters and fun to watch.

It's kinda sad that they are so misunderstood, and considered by many as "disposable" pets.

Anoles are cute, never thought about owning any. What else do you breed Wayne?

Wonder why the mom keeps doing that to her eggs... hope you can find out why!
    Stephanie

I never new people kept them till we moved north.. I alway's had them in my garden.

Kris and the "Zoo"
    Simone the Garter

We got the first one because Samantha wanted a pet reptile, So I set her up with a 10 gallon tank, put in some plants, and spent 6 bucks on an Anole.

She lost interest when she learned she couldn't play with it, So I took it over.

I like watching social interaction, and lizards are social creatures, so I went and asked specifically for a female (2 males is not good) and put her in there.

Within a few hours this was going on..

When we lived in Florida, they were everywhere, I loved it. Used to make a game out of trying to catch one (no nets or any tools, just dive and grab) hardly ever worked.

As far as mom smashing her eggs, I'd have to assume it's the stress of captivity.

They key to successful breeding would most likely be to give them enough room with conditions that are such that they don't even realize they are captives. That's why I want to set them up in a really big "closet size" enclosure.