Quote Originally Posted by Boston Mindy View Post
Do they want babies because they want to watch them grow, or because they want the snakes to be small? If its the latter. they will probably lose interest when the snakes get larger. And if that's the case, you could consider adult dekayi instead of garters, or another small breed. That way they stay small and managable, eat mostly earthworms, which are cheaper for the kids to purchase themselves, or just dig up in the yard. Dekayi also seem to be a little more relaxed in more stressful situations. Which will give the youngest a nice very tame small snake to help overcome his fear.
Dalton likes my wandering. She is really calm after a few minutes of holding her. She likes to curl around your fingers and hang out. He just doesnt seem to like the feeling of her crawling.

I think the kids want baby snakes to watch them grow up, but they are gonna want to hold them and take them places. My step-daughter keeps asking to borrow the radix to take him to those petco reptile contests. I tell her that I would have to go to...if she lets go of Zeus, he is gone.

I have brought up the issue of the babies not wanting to eat and dying sometimes. That they are difficult to handle and not something that is a good idea for kids. But they seem to want reptiles that I know they would have no idea how to care for. The kids have mentioned..... a 6' python (that is at a reptile shop, but not for sale), green iguana, ball python, female bearded dragon (sami wants to breed dragons I guess), dwarf caiman, and a few others that I wouldnt even try to manage.

Seems to be a phase that they are all going through. lol.