Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Adult snake

Re: wild garters cross breeding in the wild.

Dogs are a special case because they are all the same species, IMO. They're so far removed from wolves that they're a genetic playground at this point.
    Not that Steve, a different Steve

Quote Originally Posted by paulh View Post
    Besides hemipenis shape and ornamentation, there are pheromone and ecological differences. If the ladies do not smell right, the guys don't go for them. And if the guys and ladies don't hang out in the same place, they won't make contact. T. s. parietalis likes bushes and trees. T. radix likes grassy areas.
    I didn't know that about the pheremones. I kind of wondered though...Thanks for the info

Steveo, dogs have been domesticated for a looooooong time, but on a genetic level they share approximately 99% of the same DNA as wolves. Between each different dog breed, there is only a fraction of a percent of difference.
    ~* Emily *~
    Canis lupus familiaris- Tippy, Thamnophis proximus orarius- Proximus, Thamnophis sirtalis parietalis- Tallie

Adult snake

Quote Originally Posted by ProXimuS View Post
    Steveo, dogs have been domesticated for a looooooong time, but on a genetic level they share approximately 99% of the same DNA as wolves. Between each different dog breed, there is only a fraction of a percent of difference.
    That's true of all related species. We're 99% chimpanzee. The point is that there isn't any natural genetic purity to preserve in a Beagle or a Poodle or a Collie - the wolves themselves contain the natural genetics. Dogs are all the same subspecies so breeding a German Shepherd to a Bloodhound is the same as breeding a Flame Eastern to a Snow Eastern; the only difference is that garter breeding is still in its infancy and not that many genetic mutations have turned up.
    Not that Steve, a different Steve

Quote Originally Posted by ProXimuS View Post
    Dogs are 100% wolf.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    That's true of all related species. We're 99% chimpanzee.
    We're 0% chimp, 100% ape. Incidentally for the same reason why dogs are 100% wolf.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan-A View Post
    Dogs are 100% wolf.

We're 0% chimp, 100% ape. Incidentally for the same reason why dogs are 100% wolf.
    It is scientifically proven that if you have the right dog species combination you can get all dog species/wolf species from the same 2 dogs. So, if you had 2 adults with the correct DNA combination, you could, as scientifically proven with the dogs, produce ALL people groups from that one set of adults...it might take a few generations, but it is the way that genetics work.

And btw you can think you came from an ape if you want to but last I checked I was 100% HUMAN.
    -Tyrel

Quote Originally Posted by setfree View Post
    It is scientifically proven that if you have the right dog species combination you can get all dog species/wolf species from the same 2 dogs. So, if you had 2 adults with the correct DNA combination, you could, as scientifically proven with the dogs, produce ALL people groups from that one set of adults...it might take a few generations, but it is the way that genetics work.
    That's nonsense.

last I checked I was 100% HUMAN.
    That may be, but humans are apes. All of them. You too.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by setfree View Post

And btw you can think you came from an ape if you want to but last I checked I was 100% HUMAN.
    It's actually the opposite... Let all the existing dog breeds mix with each other, and in a few generations most of the mutations and patterns humans have bred in disappear and you end up with one 'breed' of dog very similar to a dingo or New Guinea singing dog.
    In studies done on feral dog populations in large cities, populations of dogs emerge based on a few fairly 'unmodified' species. They've found that shepherd breeds, chows, and husky/malamutes make up nearly 90% of the genetics of studied feral populations regardless of what breeds are present in human households in the area. There is no scientific basis for saying that two dogs could produce all dog breeds.

If you aren't an ape then I want credit for discovering a new form of intelligent life.
    Two people can produce more people with a combination of the genes they already have. Two blue-eyed parents cannot produce a child without blue eyes.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

Juvenile snake

This may be somewhat off topic, since the original question has to do with T parietalis, but where I live, I've found melanisitc ordinoides x elegans vagrans. I even observed what I think was a sirtalis pickerringii x ordinoides eating tadpoles in a pond. It had the pale upper lip of the ordinoides, the red stripe and belly splotches, but the side stripes were the yellowish-blue, a nd the orange dots between the stripes were vaguley present.

Northwesterns are polymorphic, I doubt it was a hybrid.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

Juvenile snake

I've never seen one with a solid black colour, unless it was melanistic, with faint grey or no stripes.
    Kephren J.
    2.4 T. ordinoides and counting. 2.0 T. s. pickeringii. 1.0.1 T. e. vagrans

Limbs? hmpph, who needs those!?