Page 3 of 97 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Marnie's Snakes

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Light of Dae's Avatar

Re: Marnie's Snakes

As for a dedicated feeding tote I'd say dollar store shoe boxes or something of the like would be perfect. No need to be fancy just functional. I had been using a little 'critter keeper' to feed Babs in, but now I just do bite size pieces in tank in a dish of water. I haven't bought a pair of giant tweezers to feed yet as I ain't willing to pay ten bucks for glorified chop sticks! ... hey... the dollar store sells plastic chop sticks... lol I'll buy those, just thought of that lol
    3.2 T.Marcianus, 1.2 T.Sirtalis, 1.0 Zacapu, 1.0 T.Radix
    0.1 Banana Cali King Snake
    0.1 BoxerXRottie Mutt

I do have a small critter keeper. I had my hermit crabs in it so I'll have to clean it out but I could use it. I stopped using it because Wayne posted a thread of a baby snake with it's neck caught in one of the plastic slats on the lid. But I wouldn't be leaving Hermes alone in it with the lid on...I'd be feeding him with hemostats in it. Either that or I'll go to the dollar store and pick up a few shoe totes. If you know anyone who works in the medical field, ask them if they have an extra pair of hemostats.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

I tried to offer Seeley some tilapia I got last night. He may have eaten a bite or two...it's very hard to tell with him because he is such a shy eater...I have to put his food on a dish and literally cover his enclosure with a towel in order to get him to eat most of the time. His eyes are cloudy now though...so he will shed soon. I put the poor little guy back in with Cee Cee for now because her humidity is up in her enclosure and she has the reptibark and many log hides that he can scratch against. He was just all sad hiding in his little cardboard box in a pile of carefresh by himself...and there isn't as much humidity or things for him to rub against in his tank. Now he is hiding under a log in Cee Cee's tank. She is funny because she gets very protective of him. If I reach in her tank for him...she will start flipping her head around frantically and usually give me a couple of her false strikes. She will follow my hand if I lift him out and start looking all over like I took her baby or something. So cute. I think Hermes may be getting geared up for a shed too. I think maybe I have learned to identify some albino signs of an impending shed. If you look at an albino in red light....which is what I keep on him in his tank, he loves it...you can see their skin get rough looking before a shed. The eyes do not look different...although I think maybe his face looks darker. I will have to compare after he sheds.

The one thing I have noticed about Hermes in comparison to my easterns is that he prefers to stay in the warm side of his enclosure at all times. He never goes to the cool side, except to explore or get water. Even when he wants to cool down a bit or hide, he just goes inside his hide on the warm side under his red lamp. The temps on his warm side stay around 82 degrees. He also spends most of his time up at the top of his hanging plant near the lamp. Has anyone else who has albinos noticed this about them?
    Marnie
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Hermes and I had some fun this afternoon. He is such a sweet little guy. I took him out and put him on my son's bed to explore and have some exercise. He slithered around all over the place for a long time. He slithered up onto my hands and arms and onto the pillows and climbed all over and had a fun time. Then I put a bowl of water on the bed for him and he went for a little swim. He was so cute swimming around...he loved it. I tried to get a video of him exploring the bed but I haven't figured out the video mode on my new camera yet. I will get a video of him soon though.
    Marnie

Looking forward to that video.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

cool! can't wait to see it
    mike

I finally figured out why the video mode on my camera wouldn't work...the SD card in it had way too little memory on it. I'm going to go buy a better SD card tomorrow and then I can make a Hermes video.
    Marnie

"Preparing For Third shed"

Looking forward to it Might take a video myself.
    John !
    " A snake is only as calm as its handler "

0.1 - T.s.parietalis

Well, I am not promising anything spectacular...I'm not great with videos. Anyway...I decided to try moving Hermes into a feed tank last night to avoid the substrate ingestion problem I've been worried about with him. Since he likes to be fed with the hemostats, I thought it would be a good way to feed him. He just flipped out the whole time he was in the feed tank because he was not in his enclosure and spent the entire time trying to figure out how to get out. He wouldn't even look at the food. I had to put him back in his enclosure and put his food on a dish on a paper towel under his hide again. Of course he then ate all of it. Now, yesterday when I had him out for a while on my son's bed...he seemed very comfortable. I kept thinking that it would be a great time to feed him...but then I kept wondering how I would get him back in his tank since you aren't supposed to pick them up after they eat....any suggestions? Does anyone take their snakes out of the enclosure and feed them? How do you then get them back into their enclosure?
    Marnie

I hold my babies while they eat, as long as you're extremely gentle with them, it shouldn't be a problem.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)