Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Basking Temps

Subadult snake

Re: Basking Temps

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    that should read no higher than low 70's whenever possible. if i was going to use a thermostat, i'd read from there and have it shut off at 75 F
    That's lower than the thermostat is set in the 75. Guess I won't need any supplemantal heat this summer when my AC is set @78* Instead, I'll be installing a swimming pool!
    Theresa in Indy
    1.0 T marcianus, 1.1 dogs, 1.0 cat, 2.0 skin kids

Great topic I've had several questions concerning this topic and have thought of a few more from reading it. My snake being albino I switched up her heat source from the basking bulb I was using (UV light) to a red bulb which is supposed to be more agreeable for albinos. Now because of the red bulb she is not as striking to look at as she was, so now I wish to add some more normal lighting for human eyes so I can enjoy her activity. If I have the basking bulb set up to one side of the tank (1/4 of the tank), and then that leaves 3/4 of the top to do something with lighting. What do I use that will not raise the temps in the areas of the tank that are supposed to be cooler? Is this unavoidable? I've read a lot of info on garter keepers just keeping their snakes at room temperature, and how garters are such hardy snakes that they can take some pretty big swings in temps. I think Richards comment on going on the lower end of a temp is better than the higher end. Even if your hot side of the tank is a littler warmer then it needs to be, aren't the snakes smart enough to know to get out after their bodies warm up to whatever they were seeking from being on that side of the tank? I notice my snake will also bask at different levels (I have a plant suctioned to the wall on that side of the viv), so sometimes she stays low to be further from the source , and sometimes she climbs as high as the plant allows to get closer. I chalk this up to her being smart enough to know where she wants to be for however warm she wants to feel. Wouldn't the temps be different in the two spots (heat rises)? Please let us know about that temp gun I'm curious about them as well.

Sounds like she's just thermoregulating.
    For light use a fluorescent bulb.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee