Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Heat mats

Subadult snake

Re: Heat mats

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    And Mark, personally I would put on the cool side and set it to shut off at around 78 degrees F, and come back on at around 70 if that's possible. Even if the warm side gets too warm, the snake will have the cool side to go to and it won't be warmer than 78 at any given time and I think that's the point in the thermostat; to make sure the snake doesn't get cooked.
    That's interesting. I set my probe over the heat mat so the mat itself doesn't get too hot. The other end of the tank hovers in the mid 60s (for now!) I do like the idea of turning the heat off at night so they get a natural warm/cool cycle.
    Theresa in Indy
    1.0 T marcianus, 1.1 dogs, 1.0 cat, 2.0 skin kids

Banned

Just do whatever works for you. I've never had a problem with heat mats getting too hot. Especially if I use these: http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-MT10.../dp/B0001WV010

You never want to them to cover more than 1/3 of the tank anyway so if it's too hot, the snake can always move. If it's too hot, and the air is very cold, then it becomes a burn risk because the snakes are too "stupid" to get off the heat mat.

I've been wondering lately if I should get bigger heat mats. I use the 6"X 8" small Zoo Med mats. I originally just wanted to be able to heat a small area on the warm side of the tanks...but now I am wondering if maybe the size of the mats that I have in proportion to my tanks are too small. I have 20 gallon long and 30 gallon tanks. What do you guys think?

Tress, I also keep my probe over the heat mat and set it to switch off at about 88 degrees. In my albino enclosure, where I don't have a heat mat right now, I have the probe in the back of the tank...so that it doesn't sit directly under the heat lamp...and I have it set to shut off at about 88 too.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Banned

If it's big enough for all enclosure occupants to comfortably curl up on it without fighting for a good spot, then it's big enough. You don't want it covering more than 1/3 of the total area of the enclosure anyway.

The only reason I decided to try that large seedling heat mat is because I wanted to heat several shoebox tubs at once. It worked out great for rearing litters, and doesn't get too hot. Just nice gentle heat, which is all that is really needed if the room air temperature is comfortable.

Turned out, I like them much better than reptile mats, and they're cheaper too. Much more flexible, and not so dang hot.