Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    "Third shed, A Success" MasSalvaje's Avatar

Re: Has anyone had problems with don

This is the very reason I like to have the package left at the distribution center for me to pick up. I have had bad experiences with shipping to my door but I found that if I have it left for pick up at the center, all goes a lot smoother. Those trucks get hot! My buddy is a driver and he said a lot of them don't have AC at all let alone in the back with the cargo, so unless you are first on the delivery list, it could be awhile which means an increased chance of trouble.

As others have mentioned, it only takes minutes of high temps to get to garters in general but especially the little guys.

-Thomas

Juvenile snake

I thank everybody for there advice and i thank don for being such an understanding and trustworthy breeder
    -Beth

"Preparing For Second shed" Snakeknot's Avatar

OMG! Don't tell me this guys! I just ordered a snake from Florida, the first time I've ever done this! It's been sweltering here lately. Now I'm worried!

Devon
    Tools are weapons. Weapons are tools. Both are dangerous in the hands of fools.

Quote Originally Posted by Snakeknot View Post
    OMG! Don't tell me this guys! I just ordered a snake from Florida, the first time I've ever done this! It's been sweltering here lately. Now I'm worried!

Devon
    Being worried is normal. Hang in there.
    Turning that box over to strangers is a hard thing to do.
    Waiting for a box is equally as difficult.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Never shed

Quote Originally Posted by MasSalvaje View Post
    This is the very reason I like to have the package left at the distribution center for me to pick up. I have had bad experiences with shipping to my door but I found that if I have it left for pick up at the center, all goes a lot smoother. Those trucks get hot! My buddy is a driver and he said a lot of them don't have AC at all let alone in the back with the cargo, so unless you are first on the delivery list, it could be awhile which means an increased chance of trouble.

As others have mentioned, it only takes minutes of high temps to get to garters in general but especially the little guys.

-Thomas
    I insist on AM delivery and always make sure I'm home and waiting at the door because of this, even if it costs me more.

If shipped UPS, even if it's overnight, I'm last on the delivery list and don't get my package until 7pm.
    If shipped USPS, my delivery guy is very, very lazy. He won't get out of his car (he's about 400lbs, delivers without a shirt on in the summer months) for any reason. If your package won't fit in your mailbox, he leaves it at the post office.
    I have seen the way delivery people treat packages, and it makes me very nervous. I watched one push a 19" CRT monitor (yeah, this was ages ago) out of the back of the truck and onto the ground. *Thunk*. I watched one walk right up to me, and drop my package from chest height, then walk away. It was a $68 bottle of scotch. I actually got that guy fired.
    0.0.2 - Eastern Flame Garters -- Fire and Sunset
    6.3.14 - Things that aren't garters!

"Preparing For Second shed" Snakeknot's Avatar

I'm getting it shipped UPS and the guy that delivers to my house also delivers to my work. He's a real sweetie and about to retire. I better have a talk with Lou!

Devon
    Tools are weapons. Weapons are tools. Both are dangerous in the hands of fools.

Banned

Since overnight delivery requires that I drop off the package at a certain (air conditioned) location near my house and it gets delivered to the airport within a couple of hours, I'd say if there's going to be a problem, it's going to happen on that last leg of the trip if it's not held for pickup. Before dropping it off, I always check the website. Certain times for drop off won't get it there in the A.M. I always make sure it will be delivered to it's final destination in the A.M. If certain addresses can't get a.m. delivery, then have it held for pickup is a good idea when it's hot.

I'm lucky I guess when it comes to receiving. I live 2 miles from the airport (PDX) and only one mile from the distribution center. Amount of time spent on the truck to my house is minimal. When I get a package from UPS or USPS they always bring it to my door with care, set it down, and ring the doorbell. The porch is in the shade always.

Since this happened to you twice, the problem is likely the last part of the trip.

My fed ex driver knows that I receive quite a few snakes, so he rushes to my house and gets them to me by 10:0 am at the latest.

Banned

Only 'cause he wants those 'nasty things' off of his truck! LoL. (jk)

Never shed

The last time I got a reptile delivered (baby turtles), the fat *** mail man pulled the whole "you can pick it up at the post office at 8am tomorrow" thing... except it was a friday (post office is closed on saturdays)! The postmaster herself hand delivered the package half an hour later. Looks like the mail man was so lazy that he didn't even bother to bring the package on his route.
    0.0.2 - Eastern Flame Garters -- Fire and Sunset
    6.3.14 - Things that aren't garters!