Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Brumation conditions: Dry, humid or wet?

Fons (Thamnophis) would you please give us some more details on your brumation materials and procedures.
    I would also like to hear your insights as to why this wood material works so well for you and has done so for so long.
    It's probably that Dutch water.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Banned

It's probably the pine. I've never had any molding problems with that either. But given that the only options around here are pine, cedar, or aspen, I'll take the aspen. Just don't keep it wet.

Juvenile snake johnc79@hotmail.com's Avatar

I made this mistake a few years back. I brumated mine in dry conditions and almost lost a few snakes. Never had a problem using moist substrates since. I use damp leaves but after speaking with Fons last month I am going to try his method as well.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by johnc79@hotmail.com View Post
    I made this mistake a few years back. I brumated mine in dry conditions and almost lost a few snakes.
    Now why do you suppose you "almost" lost them, if that is indeed the case. What's your theory on how dry substrate "almost" killed your snakes?

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    Now why do you suppose you "almost" lost them, if that is indeed the case. What's your theory on how dry substrate "almost" killed your snakes?
    . They were badly dehydrated. I brumated them in the same way I did my rat snakes ect. Im not going to pretend I know why but for me it was simple. The thams and natrix that were kept moist I have never had a single problem. When I did dry I had many sick snakes. If it works for you fine, but not for me.

Banned

Seems to me like it wouldn't make any difference if they have access to clean drinking water, and adequate humidity. I've never seen snakes get dehydrated when they have that. Brumating or not.

Not really looking to start an argument again but I'm having a hard time with swallowing the dehydration issue. It's never happened to me. They always have fresh water to drink and humidity above 50% though.

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    Seems to me like it wouldn't make any difference if they have access to clean drinking water, and adequate humidity. I've never seen snakes get dehydrated when they have that. Brumating or not.

Not really looking to start an argument again but I'm having a hard time with swallowing the dehydration issue. It's never happened to me. They always have fresh water to drink and humidity above 50% though.
    Well it did happen to me and I learnt from it. They had clean water ect exactly the same way I cool my rat snakes and they were dehydrated. Now the past few years I've used wet leaves and every snake has come out in great condition. So it's a no brainer for me. No one is saying what your doing is wrong. As you say you have no problems. Maybe it's different for the species you keep or even the climate or humidity is different where you are.

Banned

Weird

Banned

Dutch, bold and Thamnophis-crazy Thamnophis's Avatar

Well Steve, I use this wood-material because it does not mold.
    I fill a box with it and poor water on it until it is quite wet. I turn the box over and let most of the water drip out. At the end I have moist substrate and some mm water on the bottom of the box. I place a wet towel or cloth on top of the substrate, place the snakes in it and close the box. Then it goes in the refrigerator.

The Dutch water ( in my province) is excellent and completely tasteless. Don't know how that is in the USA.
    It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner. Frank Zappa