Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scale rot?

Banned

Re: Scale rot?

I should have mentioned earlier that force feeding is a bad idea. Even if you do manage to do get it down, it's far more likely to make matters worse than to do any good.

Never shed

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    I should have mentioned earlier that force feeding is a bad idea. Even if you do manage to do get it down, it's far more likely to make matters worse than to do any good.
    In general or in this case?

I would say in general. There is usually something causing the not eating. Sometimes it's to help a health situation and sometimes it's caused be some health issue. I used to force feed non-eating babies only to have them always die. The non-eating was just symptom of a bigger problem/s.
    Just my opinion.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

I am just getting caught up on this thread. Sorry to hear that you are having health issues with your snakes. Sometimes even the vets can't seem to figure out what is going on. I hate to mention this...because you probably don't want to hear this right now...but I have had a couple of snakes who seemed to slowly lose control of their bodies as if a paralysis was moving through them...they did end up passing. I only say this because I am still trying to figure out what caused it. I surely hope that you figure out what is going on with the male and that he gets better. If you do find out what is causing his problems...please let me know. It might give me some insight as to what happened with my two males. I will be thinking of you and hoping that your male gets well If I can help in any way, please let me know.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

I've heard of assist-feeding work, but usually in the context of larger snakes than garters. However, that's just getting the food started in the snake's mouth and they can still spit it out if they really don't want it. I think the process of getting the food through the neck and into the stomach is just too complicated to force in snakes if they don't help out.

On a side note, I imagine that the fungus is releasing chemicals into the body that are making the snake feel sick. That's how some parasites work too; the actual worm or whatever doesn't do the majority of the damage, but its waste and toxic secretions cause the animal to get very sick.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

Never shed

While I understand peoples concern with force feeding, I feel like I have little choice with him- if he doesn't get some sort of nutrition in his body, he will NOT survive. He hasn't eaten in a long while, and the last time he did eat, he ate sparingly. So, I have a choice. I can let him starve to death, or I can attempt to give his body the ability to make a come back. I do not force feed lightly, I never have, but there are times where it is the lesser of the two evils.

Never shed

Quote Originally Posted by EasternGirl View Post
    I am just getting caught up on this thread. Sorry to hear that you are having health issues with your snakes. Sometimes even the vets can't seem to figure out what is going on. I hate to mention this...because you probably don't want to hear this right now...but I have had a couple of snakes who seemed to slowly lose control of their bodies as if a paralysis was moving through them...they did end up passing. I only say this because I am still trying to figure out what caused it. I surely hope that you figure out what is going on with the male and that he gets better. If you do find out what is causing his problems...please let me know. It might give me some insight as to what happened with my two males. I will be thinking of you and hoping that your male gets well If I can help in any way, please let me know.
    That sounds like a thiaminase issue- it causes nerve damage that can look like convulsions or paralysis.

Any chance we can get a few photos of this male?
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Never shed

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    Any chance we can get a few photos of this male?
    I'll see if I can get one tonight. Again- they are still going to be pretty poor quality. I'll even include a photo comparison to my healthy pair, to really give you an idea.. (Don't worry, they won't be in the same room or the same photo)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by EasternGirl View Post
    I have had a couple of snakes who seemed to slowly lose control of their bodies as if a paralysis was moving through them...they did end up passing. I only say this because I am still trying to figure out what caused it.
    Sounds like a virus such as IBD or related virus, which will usually make them vulnerable to secondary bacterial infections or fungus infections.

Quote Originally Posted by ThamGirl View Post
    That sounds like a thiaminase issue-
    I don't think it does at all. Besides, they've been eating guppies.