Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
    Banned

Re: Rhea's garters and the occasional other beast

From what Shannon has told me, most CB concinnus' on the east coast are for the most part, originating from one or two breeders and she tells me that it's hard to get concinnus' on the east coast that aren't related or from the same small gene pool. I don't know how true it is, this is just what she told me. I can imagine that these snakes would be more likely to end up in Europe to, and then get inbred even further.

Anyway, it stands to reason that captive breeding for color over generations changes a snake in ways beyond coloration don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    Anyway, it stands to reason that captive breeding for color over generations changes a snake in ways beyond coloration don't you think?
    I'd say that seems likely
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

I would aggree with that too .
    Back to the male's breeding behaviours. It's not just parietalis - I have so far seen male to male attempts from parietalis, radix, concinnus and sirtalis (I'm not the only one on this site either - including Americans with WC).
    It's partially seasonal but - on several occaisions it has bee nothing other than one of them shedding to trigger multiple interest from others in the enclosure. It must be pheromones.
    The male who receives the largest amount of attention when this happens is usually my Florida blue male who is the heaviest/girthier of the males. It seems to be much like with females. His larger supply of fat producing the lipids in the skin which is the attractant for males whether voluntary or not.
    Other causes can be linked to my females, which are in the enclosure above, releasing generous amounts of lipids when they've been on a feeding binge or two. If one of the boys gets excited by this he simply seems to go for anything that moves (my parietalis/radix being most affected by this).
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

Banned

Maybe keeping the sexes apart, but in the same room, is the key factor. I've never done that. I have seen the after-shed attraction many times but it's always been male on female, once it was female on female.

Mama's courted Snakey after he shed... It was kind of funny watching her do that and Snakey trying to get away like "get off of me! you're crushing me!" Mama's too fat to be doing stuff like that to Snakey... She's 3-4 times his size.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

Banned

Androgynous snakes. It's kind of humorous. Next thing you know, they'll be sneaking out at night to go club hopping.

Yeah.... Mama started doing it again... She is a strange little girl. After Snakey hid under the carefresh she laid there with her head under the carefresh. My mom thinks she thinks there's food hidden in there. I wouldnt be surprised. She's been very hungry and... "courty"
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots

Banned

Started doing what again? sneaking out to go to the clubs? Coming home with lipstick prints on her neck and smelling like CK be?

Courting with Snakey. She's being weird. :P
    Chantel

update on my concinnus male who has been getting all this attention from the other males: his rear end blew up, needed to be lanced and he is now on Baytril, recovering in a solo enclosure

and a little update on my favourite couple:
    I think they look great, considering they haven't eaten since October
    this year I experimented with leaving them in a tank in the sunporch, where they both brumated and are now warming up
    I think they should be ready to eat something soon - he's looking just a tad peakish, and she looks like there's something cooking in there

rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain