Page 258 of 608 FirstFirst ... 158208248256257258259260268308358 ... LastLast
Results 2,571 to 2,580 of 6080

re: Other pets (pics and discussions)

Awesome! Way to go Tank, give your Steve a pat on the back!
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    I hoped Tank would be 10lbs by Christmas. Yesterday he weighed in at 10.25lbs.
    Christmas might be around 12lbs if he keep eating the way he is.
    Wow, what a big boy. Oh, and Tank is pretty big too.

I'd like to take this moment to illustrate what deworming can do for your reptiles. Remember Tank was carrying a heavy load at one time but he's really packing on the growth/weight since he got dewormed. Sure, a reptile can live a long life carrying worms but when they're gone, they can live a much healthier life and get very big.

"Third shed In Progress" kimbosaur's Avatar

Does anybody have experience with tortoises? I would love to have a Russian tortoise but read that in captivity they live around 50 years. Don't think I'm ready for a 50 year commitment.
    kimberly

SCOUSER

Hi Kimberley yes we have three tortoises one redfoot one yellowfoot and a leopard and you are right they are long lived, they all have a distinctive personality and are not difficult to look after, and there is a flip side to that life long commitment you are worried about, unlike mammals like dogs cats rabbits etc, you don't have a broken heart every dozen years or so when faced with their loss,
    this is not an argument against keeping dogs and cats, just the upside of a lifelong commitment
    ​I'm not actually a gynecologist...but i'll take a look.

I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

Oooooops disregard!

I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

Stupid frisbee was bent, otherwise we woulda really shown off.

"Preparing For First shed" Floof's Avatar

Steve, Tank is absolutely adorable!!! I can only imagine what a hoot he'll be once he's really big...

Quote Originally Posted by kimbosaur View Post
    Does anybody have experience with tortoises? I would love to have a Russian tortoise but read that in captivity they live around 50 years. Don't think I'm ready for a 50 year commitment.
    Tortoises are wonderful. I have 4 Russians (trying to build up a breeding group--easier said than done I'm finding!) and a little Leopard tort right now. They're definitely a joy to have.

They do live very long lives, and the life-long commitment certainly is daunting to think about. One thing to consider, since you're looking at Russians, is most adults in captivity are wild-caught, and already a good 10-15 years old. If you start with an adult, it cuts back a bit on the length of your commitment... Though you may still want to include provisions for the tort(s) in your will... lol

Tortoises are great pets, so long as you make sure to do your research--just like any other exotic pet. They do like a great deal of space... For example, my little 2.5" Leopard is in a 36x18" enclosure and, while that may sound large for such a tiny baby, he uses the whole thing. Russians, specifically, are a tough, easy to care for species, and a great choice for your first tortoise. You can find a good caresheet over at The Russian Tortoise and great advice on care, etc over at Tortoise Forum - An Online Community of Tortoise Experts - Tortoise Care, Tortoise Photos, Reptile Classifieds.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

I have a deal with my fiance that if he goes along with my snake-breeding plans, he eventually gets a leopard tortoise. Still not sure how that's a 'deal' since it's sort of like saying I can have a free car only if I also take a free boat...

One of the most attractive things to me is their long lives. Just wondering, how much does it cost to feed one? I was talking to a lady with a GIANT spurred tortoise at the convention I went to awhile back, and the diet she described sounded like it'd be pretty expensive, especially during winter.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

"Preparing For Fourth shed" Spankenstyne's Avatar

Russians are great, they're very hardy, active and personable. I have a 1.2 group and they're a joy to keep. What's nice is they're a smaller species and torts in general need much more floor space than folks realize. They might not be sprinters but they sure love to roam and will use all the space you can give them. Needless to say with smaller species you're giving them more room to explore within the same space.
    The Russians are pretty inexpensive to feed, and if you make an outdoor area for the warmer months (or year round for some places) they can get some good quality grazing in. You want to feed them grasses, weeds & leafy greens. Full grown you'd be lucky if they ate as much in a month as a Sulcata does in a couple of days.

Like anything, research research research.
    Chris

Sulcata- cow/pig with a shell, eating machine.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee