Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Re: Herps in the media

@ Steve... As Chris mentioned earlier. Snakes don't kill for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by EKS56 View Post

I'm a little lost here. Why was this directed to me?
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

I read a more recent report that's saying the snake was kept in the apartment. It wasn't kept securely, as evidenced by it being out of its housing. Whether that's the only thing that has been confused by the media remains to be seen. Apparently you already need to have a permit for an afrock in the province and the owner didn't have one. The case smells fishy, but time will tell how fishy.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

no way it happened like that. a few questions was the boys in the same bed or separate or maybe in the floor being as they was at a friends house? had the kids been in the pet store holding and rabbits or other prey items the snake could pick up on? in 12 years of this guy owning the snake how many times had it got out that we don't know about? and have they looked into any other people as possible suspects? hell someone could have let it out into the vent knowing the kids held other animals know what might happen, only because as many others have said this seems very improbable.
    2.2.1Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis Ekoh, Amaunet, Emily, Copper,
    1.0 Canis familiaris Chihuahua Hershey
    1.1 Felis catus Jinx and Rocky

Where understanding lives, danger (and fear) dies.

Steve, for some reason I thought it went well with this post. If the snake was not killing them to eat them then the snake had no motive. Hence, unlike humans, "Snakes don't kill for fun".

"I find it hard to believe also. Something doesn't seem right.
    Sorry, retired cop coming out"

It'll be interesting to hear what the facts are. What I have heard to this point don't add up.

Banned

But they (pythons) have killed, and do kill, for reasons other than hunger.

While they shouldn't be so quick to condemn the snake, don't be so quick to defend it. It wouldn't be the first time a large python strangulated a person but didn't swallow him/her. We shall see what the autopsy results say. Personally I think it's just flat out stupid to own a snake capable of this and it wouldn't break my heart one bit if private ownership of such an animal was banned globally. Rock pythons specifically, are banned in many places and for good reason. And apparently the law doesn't allow this owner/store to have or sell anything that gets bigger than 3 meters. Had they followed the law those boys would still be alive.

Steve, for some reason I thought it went well with this post. If the snake was not killing them to eat them then the snake had no motive. Hence, unlike humans, "Snakes don't kill for fun".

"I find it hard to believe also. Something doesn't seem right.
    Sorry, retired cop coming out"
    I see the connection now. Thanks.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"Fourth shed, A Success" thamneil's Avatar

Hey all. Been a while since I've posted. This is all over Canadian news. They've literally aired this story all day long. From what I've gathered, the snake was about 14 feet, and allegedly weighed 100lbs. The kids had spent time with animals that day. I believe they were at a petting zoo, and I remember something about a llama. "Experts" say that the snake escaped from the neighbouring apartment, crawled through a vent, and attacked both children because they smelled like prey. The children were found with bite marks, and autopsies will be done.

I believe this is the first case of a snake killing two people. Quite interesting, as rock pythons have killed and eaten large animals, and even humans through their native range. Very sad that such a thing had happened, and gives us herpetoculturalists a negative appearance.
    Neil
    The Thamnophis Aficionado

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    But they (pythons) have killed, and do kill, for reasons other than hunger.

While they shouldn't be so quick to condemn the snake, don't be so quick to defend it. It wouldn't be the first time a large python strangulated a person but didn't swallow him/her. We shall see what the autopsy results say. Personally I think it's just flat out stupid to own a snake capable of this and it wouldn't break my heart one bit if private ownership of such an animal was banned globally. Rock pythons specifically, are banned in many places and for good reason. And apparently the law doesn't allow this owner/store to have or sell anything that gets bigger than 3 meters. Had they followed the law those boys would still be alive.
    yea your right but like thamneil said they was at a petting zoo and probably smelled like prey. that snake doesnt know they are kids they just smelled food. and the whole cant understand people that want an animal that could do this, im with ya on that especially if your breaking the law by doing it. then to have it unlawfully and not keep it on lockdown is just beyond STUPID hell that guy had at least some idea the capabilities of the snake.

But what i dont understand is how a snake that size could get into the ventilation in the first place. i mean dont they keep covers over ventilation openings in canada or was there no cover on the vents in the entire building. probably 99% of vent covers are kept secured by screws(at least the ones i have seen) how could a snake even get a cover off from the outside? or even inside the vents would it not make a lot of noise trying to get it off, or am i missing something here?
    2.2.1Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis Ekoh, Amaunet, Emily, Copper,
    1.0 Canis familiaris Chihuahua Hershey
    1.1 Felis catus Jinx and Rocky

Where understanding lives, danger (and fear) dies.