Page 23 of 62 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Re: Gail's garter - the snake kind silly.

Yeah...Cee Cee has chronic respiratory issues and she does wheeze with certain substrates...especially if they are dusty. As soon as I took the dusty substrate out and switched it...she stopped wheezing all the time. Ahh...PetFoodDirect...good place. Thanks.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kueluck View Post
    I don't know about all that, but I do know that once I changed her to sani-chips the wheezing stop.
    I still think there's an underlying cause other than dust. Wheezing or any other symptoms always comes and goes with bacterial RI's. This often leads the keeper to think the snake is getting better, only to have symptoms return. If you have a chance (or can make it happen otherwise) you need to look at the snake's mouth/throat inside. What color is it? Any sign of mucous in the throat? It should be nice and pink and no sign of mucous. With RI's the mouth is often greyish and mucous can be seen far back in the throat.

The sooner it's treated with antibiotics, the better the prognosis.

Quote Originally Posted by Invisible Snake View Post
    To be honest I'm really not sure, but I think it's because a garter snakes stomach isn't designed for digesting snakes.
    You should tell that to vagrans.Snakes are easily digested because of they are basically all muscle and protein is easily digested.When a snake dies after eating another snake it's usually because it's to big and struggles causing internal hemorrhaging.
    Will

Smells Like Teen Spirit Invisible Snake's Avatar

Hey any updates with Zena's eye?

No, and she is starting to go into shed so if it IS a retained shed I'm going to watch closely to make sure it comes off. When any of the girls shed I check it out to make sure it's complete, but then these old eyes may not have caught it. I guess it's time to order one of the lighted magnifing glasses.

And thanks for asking.
    Mona (T.S. sirtalis) Melanistic
    Fiona (T.S similis) Normal

Gail...Cee Cee was diagnosed with chronic respiratory problems. The vet said it probably had to do with her living outside for a couple of years before I had her. This is why she is so sensitive to dusty substrate. You may want to take Zena to a vet and see if she has chronic RIs. When Cee Cee's breathing acts up...I increase the temp and humidity in her tank and she usually feels better in a day or so. I also, like you, am very careful about which substrate I use. But if her breathing gets really bad...she has to go on a course of antibiotics.

Any sign of Cleo?
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Since I've changed her to sani-chips, no wheezing at all, and yes of course if any breathing issues come up off to the Doc she goes. And no, Cleo is still MIA. On Oct 10th is the 60 day quarantine for Mona and Sadie before they could go in with Cleo. My hope is that Cleo has seen this on the calendar and will show up then. Or she's waiting for the new mondo condo that I'm building.
    Quote Originally Posted by EasternGirl View Post
    Gail...Cee Cee was diagnosed with chronic respiratory problems. The vet said it probably had to do with her living outside for a couple of years before I had her. This is why she is so sensitive to dusty substrate. You may want to take Zena to a vet and see if she has chronic RIs. When Cee Cee's breathing acts up...I increase the temp and humidity in her tank and she usually feels better in a day or so. I also, like you, am very careful about which substrate I use. But if her breathing gets really bad...she has to go on a course of antibiotics.

Any sign of Cleo?

Since this is my first fall season with garters I'm not sure about habits and personality changes. The past couple of weeks Zena almost acts depressed. She'll eat worms and salmon, but not like she usually does, which means comes shooting outta the tank for food. And she turns her nose up at pinkies, and she'll eat a little tilapia, but definitely NOT happy with it. And yes she is pooping. She lays in her cave a lot, but when I take her out all is normal. Could it be that fall is coming and when she goes into her hide she is all alone? Since I've had her (April 2012) she's always been alone in the tank but my thought is that come fall they start to come together. Sadie and Mona are way to small to put in with her, and Cleo, well there is no sign of her. I've thought about looking for a year old female to put in with her but then it's a two month quarantine and is it all worth it. I don't plan on brumating them over the winter if I can help it.
    CIMG0005.jpg

Sadie and Mona went to visit Zena and it's amazing how much Zena perks up when company is around. I wish I could leave them in there, but I don't want to find crushed dead babies. At this time I was hoping to have Cleo move in w/Zena.

Zena & Sadie 10-19-12.jpg

Awww, how cute! Hopefully the babies will hurry up and grow they can all be together
    ~* Emily *~
    Canis lupus familiaris- Tippy, Thamnophis proximus orarius- Proximus, Thamnophis sirtalis parietalis- Tallie