Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast
    "PM Boots For Custom Title" BUSHSNAKE's Avatar

Re: T. eques cuitzeoensis behaviour

Quote Originally Posted by chris-uk View Post
    I think Scott is selling them at silly cheap prices so add a couple to your order.
    more like stupid in the head cheap
    I love my cuitzeoensis theyre freeking beautiful.
    Mine are much more active at nite, what about yours Chris? Im thinking theyre somewhat nocturnal.

"Fourth shed, A Success" thamneil's Avatar

Low prices are both a blessing and a curse! I'll take it as a blessing for now though. Defiantly going to be a good year for these Mexican snakes!
    Neil
    The Thamnophis Aficionado

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHSNAKE View Post
    more like stupid in the head cheap
    I love my cuitzeoensis theyre freeking beautiful.
    Mine are much more active at nite, what about yours Chris? Im thinking theyre somewhat nocturnal.
    Mine are more active at night than other species, but I'd say they are more active in the day. I'll often go into the snake room early and find the male climbing in the plants before the heat and lights are on.

Quote Originally Posted by thamneil View Post
    Low prices are both a blessing and a curse! I'll take it as a blessing for now though. Defiantly going to be a good year for these Mexican snakes!
    Take advantage of the price. I don't understand why you'd breed a rare species and then sell them at the same price as much more common snake, perhaps the logic is to create a market but the low price it discourages other breeders doesn't it? At Scott's prices it would almost be cheaper to import from the US than Holland. lol

Anyway, don't want this thread to turn into one about price - I keep them because they are stunning and unusual garters, and I've grown to love them more because I think they are incredibly intelligent and interesting to watch.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

These Cuitzeos are aggressive

Lacci just bit me for the second time in 18 months. Maybe that isn't aggressive after all considering most feeds I feed her some of it straight from my fingers and is careful not to touch my fingers.

This afternoon's nip was a nibble on the back of my hand. I was feeding Nobby and Adora more than Lacci and blocking her from getting to the dish of food outside the viv with my hand. I think the nip was a gentle reminder that she was waiting. She's an intelligent girl so she knew she couldn't swallow my hand, she still managed to draw a whole drop of blood.

She's still my favourite.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

As Vlad did something interesting yesterday I thought it was time for an update.

Vlad stopped eating for a while over winter and lost 15-20g, he seems a bit more fussy now and prefers pinkies over fish. He's currently weighing in at 126g. He's not as outgoing as his radix viv-mate, and last time I got him out he freaked when I got him to the livingroom and musked all over the sofa (leather, so easy to wipe clean). I've decided that he's now a "handle when necessary" snake, not because he's aggressive but because I don't want to stress him. I said he did something interesting yesterday, keep reading - the photos are below.

Laccrimosa on the other hand has not stopped eating, ever. She's the only one of my garters that hasn't refused a meal in the last 12 months. As a result she's put on weight and length, I can never get an accurate length but I know she's over 1m now, and she last weighed in at 376g. She will still cautiously slither up to the open doors and into my hands, so she's one of the first that comes out (saying that all three of the bigger girls are the same, Lacci being the most cautious of the three).

Now photos of Vlad and some opportunistic basking...

And from the side...

I think he was trying to get behind the backround, not onto it, but once he'd pushed it to an angle where the top was immediately below the lamp he chose to have a bask. The LED light doesn't throw out a lot of heat, but still throws out a bit. When I had ivy suspended from the top of the viv Vlad always liked spending time in the ivy, I had to take that out because he was constantly using it as a route to get behind the background. I'll be adding some more ivy for him when I go through some viv reallocations in the next month.
    Chris

Vlad is looking good.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    Vlad is looking good.
    He's better looking than Lacci, I'll have to get some better photos of him.
    Chris

Looking forward to those photos.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

I've discovered that Cuitzeos don't like earth worms. Lacci and Vlad both turn their noses up at them.
    Chris

I got an accurate measurement of Lacrimosa today (she was laid around 3 sides of the water bowl without any wiggles, so I could get an accurate point for her head and tail at the same time). She's now 104cm long and a chunky snake at 407g. I knew she was over 100cm, it was just a case as to how much longer.

She eats like a demon... eating me out of house and home.
    Chris