Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
    Banned

Re: Herps in the media

As if they would automatically swallow him if they could.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Re: Sad day for everybody :(

Wow indeed. And condolences to the family.

It's so unlikely that a constrictor would escape and travel upstairs and kill one child, let alone two. A large African Rock Python (which is what the BBC is reporting, although earlier reports suggested it was a boa) would be capable, but killing two children doesn't seem likely behaviour, they don't kill for fun, if it did kill one of them you'd expect it to have attempted to swallow him rather than attack the other.
    It's possible that the boys woke up with the snake in their room and tried to play with it and both were constricted at the same time because the snake was far to large for them to handle. It's also possible that something more sinister occurred and that the snake is being used to cover up a crime. There's now facts available about the incident yet, but it will be interesting to see how it pans out and the repercussions on exotic pet owners.

I find it odd that in the UK you need to be licensed to keep venomous snakes, crocodiles and various other animals that are dangerous. But anybody could buy an anaconda, reticulated python or afrock without any controls, although until now incidents involving large constrictors are almost unheard of.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

I had the same thoughts. One maybe, but two?

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

The Australian has the fullest quote from an expert - Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

The article on the BBC website is the currently the most read news item, although I've not seen anything on the TV news yet -
    BBC News - Snake 'strangles two children' in New Brunswick, Canada
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

I actually just posted something about this on the "Oh so quiet" thread. I agree, my first thought when I read the news article on the incident is that something sounds off. I mean, I have certainly heard of people who own retics having incidents in which the snake did try to constrict...and it took several people to pull the snake off...but that usually happens when an owner is holding a very large snake. I'm not sure why a python would just go into a house and kill two sleeping children. Was the snake starving or something? Were the kids covered in rabbit? It's a little odd...but I guess it could happen. Also, if this guy owns an exotic pet store...why didn't he have this snake secured properly? One funny thing, my son and mother ran up to me as soon as I woke up and told me a snake ate two children...I was like "What???"....it actually swallowed two children? Then, I read the article.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

@ Chris, kinda what I was thinking.

David Rogrigue, director of Montreal's Ecomuseum Zoo, told Agence France-Presse news agency that this attack was "difficult to believe... very, very extraordinary, and very improbable".

I find it hard to believe also. Something doesn't seem right.
    Sorry, retired cop coming out.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Waiting for the bodies to be examined properly. So far the whole case smells.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    As if they would automatically swallow him if they could.
    Quote Originally Posted by EKS56 View Post
    And suddenly, something I said last summer becomes the ultimate ironic statement. I don't know whether to laugh or cry about it.