Page 219 of 469 FirstFirst ... 119169209217218219220221229269319 ... LastLast
Results 2,181 to 2,190 of 4688

Re: The Nature Photography Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan-A View Post
    The Isthmus of Panama only formed about 3 million years ago, so it's definitely not an especially long time since they or their ancestors wandered over.
    just this time humans are probably not to blame for once

last night a young raccoon was trying to come in through our bedroom window and I had to do some serious hissing and growling
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by drache View Post
    just this time humans are probably not to blame for once
    It has happened a lot of times before and nothing we have done so far can even be compared to something of this magnitude.

It has happened a lot of times before and nothing we have done so far can even be compared to something of this magnitude.
    not sure about that Stefan
    it looks to me that humans have done a job of great magnitude on some parts of the earth - some of it can easily compared to small comets hitting and massive species migrations
    one well-placed non-native species can wipe out an entire ecosystem - not to mention the soup of chemicals in the water supply
    I don't know the number of animals that have gone extinct primarily due to human activity, but I remember it being staggering, and we seem to be able to do all that with hardly any big bangs - just quietly destroying away
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

not sure about that Stefan
    it looks to me that humans have done a job of great magnitude on some parts of the earth - some of it can easily compared to small comets hitting and massive species migrations
    one well-placed non-native species can wipe out an entire ecosystem - not to mention the soup of chemicals in the water supply
    I don't know the number of animals that have gone extinct primarily due to human activity, but I remember it being staggering, and we seem to be able to do all that with hardly any big bangs - just quietly destroying away
    If one well-placed non-native species can do that, imagine it happening with tens of thousands of species expanding into each others' areas at practically the same time (in geological terms). No cane toads, rabbits, dogs, cats, pigs or any other animal we've introduced can possibly have had a comparable impact to the one resulting from the South American flora and fauna rushing into North America and vice versa.

If one well-placed non-native species can do that, imagine it happening with tens of thousands of species expanding into each others' areas at practically the same time (in geological terms). No cane toads, rabbits, dogs, cats, pigs or any other animal we've introduced can possibly have had a comparable impact to the one resulting from the South American flora and fauna rushing into North America and vice versa.
    that is very true in terms of scale, but in terms of the time frame - that took a long time
    rhea

that is very true in terms of scale, but in terms of the time frame - that took a long time
    The time frame for each individual species would have been pretty much the same as when we introduce a species. It always starts with just a few individuals. For example, our white-tailed deer population, which is common in the southern half of this country, originates from 5 or 6 or escapees. Had it been a snake crossing over into South America, a single gravid female would have been as effective.

The time frame for each individual species would have been pretty much the same as when we introduce a species. It always starts with just a few individuals. For example, our white-tailed deer population, which is common in the southern half of this country, originates from 5 or 6 or escapees. Had it been a snake crossing over into South America, a single gravid female would have been as effective.
    yeah - I had thought of that as well
    but then I thought of a few examples that simply would not seem possible without human intervention, and it may just be my admittedly biased mind, but they seem to have been much more rapidly devastating than the somewhat more gradual spread
    I'm a bit tired this morning, so much of this rises from a fogged mind, but I was thinking of rabbits someplace, some kind of mussel in another, kudzu, garlic, and raccoons, but so sorry - I'm not up for getting the details right now
    and frankly, none of them seem quite as catastrophic to me than what I expect out of this mess of residues of drugs, hormones, and other chemicals ending up in the ground water even, and probably affecting most life forms - though not as instantly recognizable as the impact of a radioactive event or a large meteor impact
    none of it may be catastrophic in and of itself, but when you piece it all together - well I think it's pretty impressive
    oops - this was a bit further than I had meant to venture into this
    to repeat - I do not lay claim to complete rational objectivity on that subject - I am clearly strongly biased against humans
    rhea

"Third shed, A Success" Hornets23's Avatar

Did somebody say raccoon? I found this guy at a lake that i often go to to go birdwatching...yep, thats just how big of a nerd I am. Anyway, he was out in the middle of the day, which is always a bit strange. He appeared healthy but I didnt get too close....I did give him a granola bar to get some extra shots. He looked pretty young, but anyway...

~Christa

What a cute little raccoon Christa!

Zoe

That raccoon is rreally cute!
    Stephanie