S h a n l e y
    1.3 eastern garters
    1 midland painted turtle
    1 bernese mountain dog
    1 half siamese cat

"Preparing For Fourth shed" Aundrea's Avatar

Re: Lori's snakes and such

Quote Originally Posted by Lori P View Post
    I made another video of the Florida Blues eating... are you tired of them yet?! Sorry, but these guys are SO cool....

YouTube - Florida Blues Breakfast

And here's the video follow up to the turtle/kitty love story...

YouTube - Forbidden Love

LOL!
    Them Florida Blues are such piggies!!!! They sure know how to pack in the food LOL

That forbidden love video is just the cutiest video!! I love that
    1 Ball Python Spenser
    2 Dekayi's Bennie, Max
    1 Ornate Boxie Turtle Lola
    1 Baby Russian Tortoise Lilly
    1 Beagle Dog Maycee

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Lori...

hows that rat snake doing?

I had a problem similar with one of my baby balls not too long ago, the best thing to do when you see a regurge is to wait about two weeks before offering more food, simply because sometimes, a regurge is just a freak thing that happens because of stress and what not, and IF that is the case and nothing else more serious is wrong, what can happen is that that initial regurge lowers the reserves of the good microbes that naturally live in the snake's digestive tract. By waiting a good two weeks, you give the snake's tummy a really good resting period, and allow those microbes to build back up, if their count is too low when you try to re feed the snake, she may simply not be able to digest it properly and you get a chain reaction of regurges going because her tummy is all messed up.

My normal procedure upon regurge is before I do anything drastic, wait two weeks and re-feed a VERY small meal, smaller than normal. If it eats pinkeis, try just a head. 9 times out of 10 for me, there is no recurrence. If there is, then I become more concerned and a fecal sample (if possible) is taken to the vet, and if not... whatever they threw up might help too!

anyways I also noticed you mentioning prjectile vomiting.... I don't know how normal it is for garters, but the wild water snakes I catch frequently will projectile vomit... and by that I mean SPEW the gooky stuff right at me my lanching it a foot or two through the air.... and boy that is NASTY!
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Shannon, yes, I'm waiting two weeks before trying to feed her again.. that will be the 22nd. I had to write it on my calander to keep myself from feeding her again too soon. Man, it's hard, she is steadily patrolling her little tank and I know she's hungry. I agree with you, I'll start with just a pinky head... I've been watching for a stool sample, but haven't found one yet. I'd like to test it just in case.

I'm a little worried this was already a problem with her before I got her... but, hopefully we can get her on track. Her sis is doing great and has already shed once. :-)

Oh, thanks for the info on the "vomiting"! He never did it again after I asked... but it really did seem more of a defense thing. It was a clear mucousy type stuff. I've picked him up a few times with my camera ready, but he stares at me like, "What? I didn't do anything..." LOL.
    Lori, New Hope Rescue-- rescuing equines and others
    www.newhoperescueva.com

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Snake lover 3-25's Avatar

ewwww lol a person just threw up out side.... stress of the swim meet..... grose lol
    S h a n l e y
    1.3 eastern garters
    1 midland painted turtle
    1 bernese mountain dog
    1 half siamese cat

"Preparing For Second shed"

Quote Originally Posted by Lori P View Post
    Thought I'd start my guys their own thread. I'll start it off with the Puget's new home. It's not finished yet, but here's a start... it's a 55 gallon tank.

I've had this cardboard thing for a while, and kept trying to use it. I used it here to give more height to that climb... not sure if I like it, but, Mrs Mordecai spent quite a while going in and out so as long as she likes it...

Gertie, I know you'll like this!! I also put in some live bamboo-- so they can lie on the rocks in the planter, too.

why have you got the snakes i want then taunt me with piccies lol
    I WANT I WANT I WANT

LOL Trust me, we all taunt each other on here!! Too bad you're so far away, or I'd share.... (not really. But it sounded nice and polite. LOL)
    www.newhoperescueva.com

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Loren's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adamanteus View Post
    It seems to me that quite often in a litter/clutch of snakes, there are one or two that seem determined to die. In nature these would probably be the first to fall foul of a small predator. Of course in a captive situation we want them all to survive, and so it takes all our wit and guile to get them through these early days. All I can suggest is that you persevere, at some point the little thing will acquire that will to survive and begin to behave as you would want.
    I agree, and also feel that we should think of those (the ones that are so hard to keep alive) as pets only, and exclude them from passing on their genes, just as the wild would. Not talking so much about ones that take a little work(a reasonable amount) to get started feeding, but more about the really difficult ones.

GOOD point, Loren.
    www.newhoperescueva.com