Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    "Preparing For Third shed"

Re: Hey guys !! Im new to snake some help ?

I guess your right on that note about the tank.I will look further into the whole lamp vs heat pad difference.

This is my email. May I see some pictures of your Albino red sided het ?

C.John417@aol.com <-------My email also if anyone have any pictures of your setup that will also be helpful thanks.

Well I guess ill be looking into a 20 gal tank, should have done that in the first place. @guidofatherof5 - Other than that on to the topic of your albino het. Can you email me some pictures ? and if you know the age , sex and things like that. Also is it CBB ?

C.John417@aol.com <----- My email if anyone could send me some pictures of your setups so I can have a better idea of things , it would help a lot thanks.

Here is a pic of one of my enclosures. Make sure you have good substrate....I prefer carefresh. A hide on both the warm side and the cool side, lots of plants and some logs or wood (just make sure it is treated for mites/heat treated), vines are good too. Make sure you have a water dish that the snake can soak in but that he/she can easily get out of. I use a 25-40 watt basking bulb on the warm side during the day and a 40 watt red bulb at night...I sometimes use a undertank heat pad as well. You may want to take a look at our http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/husb...nger-zone.html thread to read about dangerous things to watch for in enclosures.

100_0023.jpg
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Thanks for the picture. Your tank looks amazing by the way, Ill be sure to look into the furniture more now didn't think it was so important. How easy to clean is your tank though ?

Thanks. I don't think it's difficult. I think I clean mine more than a lot of other people because I'm kind of OCD about it...a lot of people spot clean...which means that you can just scoop poop and urates (urine) out of the substrate as you see it and then only clean the whole tank every so often. I clean mine every couple of weeks completely. A lot of people use vinegar to clean because it's safe...I use a bleach solution, which is safe as long as you are very careful with it. I remove everything including the substrate...throw away the substrate and put the plants in the sink to soak in warm soapy water. Then, I spray a solution of one part bleach, 3 parts water in the tank and wipe it out. Then I make sure to wipe it out with plain water, and then I make sure to let it air out for about an hour before putting the stuff back in. Rinse soap off of plants and logs...you can put them back in damp. Put new substrate in. But you can go a while spot cleaning substrate before you have to clean the entire tank. Just make sure to clean the water dishes frequently because they will get slimy. Plants and logs are important because garters like to climb and hide. A hide on the cold side and one on the warm side are very important so that the garter can hide to feel secure. The kind of substrate you use is important because certain materials are toxic to garters. The water dish is important, not just for drinking..but for soaking and swimming too. But you have to be careful with babies...make sure it is a dish they can easily get out of. Make sure you buy any wood items from a pet store or ask a member how to bake the wood to treat for possible mites...you don't want to just pick up wood from outside because it might have mites that can then transfer to your snake.
    Marnie
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Sounds like a plan then , The substrate I was planning to use for a while was paper towels since its the cheapest and easiest to use. The only thing I still don't have a lot of knowledge about is the shedding. I know I need like a basking rock for that just kinda confused about that whole topic.

Paper towels are okay...I am personally a fan of something they can burrow in. Many people use aspen bedding...it is pretty cheap and you can get that at most pet stores. Just be careful not to feed the snake in the aspen. You will want to have a separate tank for feeding if you use aspen..or you will want to feed with tongs or hemostats. If you use a feed tank...you can just use paper towels in a small 5 gallon tank for a feed tank. For shedding...you don't necessarily need a basking rock...if you are talking about what I think you are talking about...a rock or a log placed under the heat lamp for the snake to bask...that is just because garters enjoy basking in the sun. I use a 25 watt basking bulb..or you can just use a regular 40 watt light bulb in a dome light fixture. Then at night, I use a 40 watt red bulb for heat. Some people use under tank heat mats...if you are interested in using those...I can give you a link for info on using those. Make sure your water dish is on the cool side of the tank...the side without the light. When the snake is about to shed...it will become dull in color and it's eyes will become cloudy...this is a sign that it is time to increase the humidity in your tank. To do this, you can buy a spray bottle and mist the plants in the tank with water a couple of times a day. On the average the temperature in your tank should stay around 75-85 during the day on the warm side and around 70-75 on the cool side...and at night it should not drop below 65. I keep mine around 73 at night. You can get thermometers at pet stores that you can put inside the tank to watch your temps. The humidity should stay around 40-50%....although many people will tell you higher and many people will tell you they can't get it that high. My humidity in my tanks stays around 30-40%...and I try to get it to 50 or 60% around shed time. I increase it by misting a lot and covering 1/2 to 3/4 of the tank lid with a towel. A good shed is indicated by the snake getting the entire shed off in one piece. You can get a hygrometer at pet stores that you can put in the tank to monitor humidity.

You also want to make sure you get a secure tank lid that the snake cannot escape from. You can get locking tank lids and lids that slide on...those are the best.

Don't let anyone at a pet store tell you that garters eat crickets. Garters eat worms, fish, and frozen/thawed pinkies. We have a list on here of safe fish that you can feed them.
    Marnie

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Light of Dae's Avatar

Good advice Marnie!

I use aspen shavings for my one guy, and dry coco husk for my girl. The coco husk is nice looking and great to shed on because its rough enough, but she doesn't borrow in it. Mine you she didn't borrow when I had her on aspen either... She loves to climb. Dollar Stores are my first option when buying plants, Cheap and they look good. My Checkered Garter George LOVES to borrow, I got his tank with about 2inches of aspen shavings lol

This is what I do now to feed 'in tank' I make sure its up above the substrate or put paper towel down. I make a mix of chopped worms and chopped pinkies or salmon chunks. small enough to be a quick swallow, bite size.
    100_0056.jpg

This is my one tank for my little Radix, Babs. Her two favorite spots are in the top right corner in the vines and basking on the fake rock I made.
    100_0115.jpg

This is a simple set up I have for my Checkered, George. There is a fake plant in the left corner that provides good cover as well. His tank isn't don't yet... I'm going out today to get something for him to climb on.
    100_0119.jpg
    Oh and the piece of wood in there is a chunk of drift wood that I treated. Baked in the oven, then put a coat of sealer on it... lol same sealer I used on my fake rock
    3.2 T.Marcianus, 1.2 T.Sirtalis, 1.0 Zacapu, 1.0 T.Radix
    0.1 Banana Cali King Snake
    0.1 BoxerXRottie Mutt

Wow , light of dae you have a stunning tank simply amazing. That's kinda what I was going for visually , bark was my first choice but the fact of having to buy more and more each time was the deal. I looked up the coco bark its pretty cheap and it looks very much like what I wanted I will be sure to look into that. The furniture I will be buying at the pet store like the vines and things like that but if I find some flowers at the dollar store I will be sure to pick those up ; they give the tank some vibrancy its very beautiful.

On the heating note I will most definitely use the two bulbs the 25 watt basking and the red 40 watt at night. sounds very promising seeing your snakes. By getting these lamps it means I have no need for a under tank heater , am I right ?