Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: i finally found a baby garter!! story+pics

what a pretty snake you got yourself
    congratulations
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

"First shed In Progress"

Quote Originally Posted by drache View Post
    what a pretty snake you got yourself
    congratulations
    thanks guys, hes settling in and found his favorite hiding spot under plant leaves

somehow we managed to climb up to the top of it

should i leave a worm in his cage a fill his water bowl to the top b4 i leave?

Hi, I'm New Here!

I've got a wandering garter as well who was caught as a baby about the same size as yours..... I've had him for about a year and a half now and the ONLY thing I can get him to eat that is readily available is rosies.

I actually put them in his cage in his water bowl and then he can choose when he's hungry, just be sure to clean the fish poop out often.... The rosies generally keep for about a week without being fed. I've thought about trying to breed them myself as the local pet store always seems to be out.....luckily Noonie's a patient guy.

Take heart, when Noonie came into our lives he was so little and I had NO idea about garter snakes or any snakes at all, I worried constantly until he was eating. At first I was just going to keep him for a week and then turn him back out to the irrigated pasture he came from but then when I realized we could take care of him, that he seemed to enjoy our company I decided to keep him, plus he's just the sweetest, cutest little guy EVER.

I have had a hard time getting any information about garter snakes at the local pet stores, this forum is a great resource.

Mike,

Congrats on your find. Nano does seem to be an appropriate name for your little snake... both from a badmitton and metric measurement point-of-view. Cheers, .

Rick

"First shed In Progress"

Quote Originally Posted by darcy View Post
    I've got a wandering garter as well who was caught as a baby about the same size as yours..... I've had him for about a year and a half now and the ONLY thing I can get him to eat that is readily available is rosies.

I actually put them in his cage in his water bowl and then he can choose when he's hungry, just be sure to clean the fish poop out often.... The rosies generally keep for about a week without being fed. I've thought about trying to breed them myself as the local pet store always seems to be out.....luckily Noonie's a patient guy.

Take heart, when Noonie came into our lives he was so little and I had NO idea about garter snakes or any snakes at all, I worried constantly until he was eating. At first I was just going to keep him for a week and then turn him back out to the irrigated pasture he came from but then when I realized we could take care of him, that he seemed to enjoy our company I decided to keep him, plus he's just the sweetest, cutest little guy EVER.

I have had a hard time getting any information about garter snakes at the local pet stores, this forum is a great resource.
    where can i find these rosies??

and thx saz =p

"Second shed, A Success" salzar's Avatar

Hey now.. I found a wc garter like just over a month ago . he is doing fine and eats well on slugs and earth worms. seems to love slugs. your baby looks just like mine .
    bye salzar

Hi, I'm New Here!

Mike, I get rosies at the local pet store...

Just be sure to specify that you are looking for feeder fish that are okay for snakes and that you DON'T want goldfish....

My Noonie is probably big enough to start trying out some pinky parts but my local store only seems to stock enough to feed his own snakes?.?.?.

I have been curious about trying some gelatinized trout so I would have a more reliable food source that would be easier to add supplements to.

I've been adding small amounts of reptivite from zoo med to his water but I have been worried it would burn his skin even though everyone tells me he'll be fine.

How is Nano this week?

"First shed In Progress"

just bought some feeder fish today, going to try feeding him them tomorrow.

he didnt eat the worm i put in for him yesterday kinda worried cuz its bin 6 days since ive had him and he hasnt eaten...and i dont know how long he went for in the wild without eating.... =\

Quote Originally Posted by darcy View Post
    Mike, I get rosies at the local pet store...

Just be sure to specify that you are looking for feeder fish that are okay for snakes and that you DON'T want goldfish....

My Noonie is probably big enough to start trying out some pinky parts but my local store only seems to stock enough to feed his own snakes?.?.?.

I have been curious about trying some gelatinized trout so I would have a more reliable food source that would be easier to add supplements to.

I've been adding small amounts of reptivite from zoo med to his water but I have been worried it would burn his skin even though everyone tells me he'll be fine.

How is Nano this week?

I go to Sam's Club and buy fresh trout. I cut them into chunks and freeze them. When it's time to feed, i thaw the fish, cut it into bite size pieces.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Mike, I went through the same worries with my Noonie when I brought him home.... He had zero interest in the crickets and worms I stupidly put in front of him but when the rosies showed up he got interested. He was found in a puddle of water right by a gated irrigation pipe and there were all sorts of little aquatic creatures there, so I think that's what he was used to.