Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Re: I found an Albino Garden Snake

I would love to see some clear shots.
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

That's pretty cool regardless of what species it ends up being. You're lucky to have found an albino in the wild!
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

Definitely!
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla

Banned

OMG another one? That's the second one found this year. One near Sherwood, OR and now this one. Based on where you found it, and the dorsal stripe, there's only one snake that it can be. The most common reptile in your area: Northwestern Garter Snake (Thamnophis ordinoides). Albinos of this species have been found before (as I mentioned) but they are extremely rare. Two in one year is just phenomenal. Previously, one pops up about every 25 years in Oregon.

If it was the other garter snake found in the Portland area (oregon red spotted garter snake- thamnophis concinnus) it would have red or orange on it's sides even as an albino.

I sure hope it gets proper care. Baby northwesterns can be touchy if not properly cared for. Would be a shame if it didn't make it. Whatever you do, keep it away from bright light/UV lights/Sunlight. I would like to see this snake get into the hands of an experienced garter breeder so it can survive to adulthood and pass the albino gene on to captive breeding projects. Unfortunately, I just moved from the Portland area to southern California and so I'm helpless to do anything about that.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BUSHSNAKE's Avatar

i 2nd that...ordinoides for sure

Banned

And I had to go and move right before it was found. Damn. I want to create erythristic albino northwesterns! grrr...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    The head looked a little to big to be a Northwestern but you live with them, so.
    As babies, the head is bigger in relation to the body. They "catch up to" their head later. It looks to be a newborn from a late season birth.

An albino bloodline would be cool since ordinoides are such awesome species but the offspring are a nightmare

Banned

Says you. But they do require a little bit different care and experience with them helps. If you approach their care as any other hardy garter snake you'll likely fail. I have doubts this one will survive. Even if it got into the hands of someone with experience raising baby northwesterns, the odds are still not in favor if it making it to breeding age. For someone new to keeping any snakes at all, it's chances are slim to none.

They are...i think you have to live in their natural range or something...out of almost two whole litters i think ive got 3 to do well.