Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    "Preparing For First shed"

Re: Warning, snake at large!!!

The room environment is like this:
    temp. day range between 65 to 68 F, at night range is 60 to 63 F, as I said, the heating system is centralized, and OFF.
    The rest of the house temp is more or less the same, but my son's room faces west, so tends to be slightly warmer in the evening.
    Near rooms are one bathroom and my own bedroom (my wife is seriously considering moving out for few days (lol)), then my own studio room.
    My son's room furnitures are mainly Ikea bookshelves, full of stuff, so it is likely he is moving using those shelters.
    Since I have no portable heaters to use, I am putting down a pressure cooker full of hot water, all surrounded by a blanket or similar cloth, in a place as near as possible at his terrarium. Together wish a small water bowl. Same bowls to be put in the other rooms. I was thinking about placing some flour around these areas, so to see if the snake has thread around them...and maybe have an idea of its direction.
    I'll remain alone at home all morning, I fear I'll have to do some herping in my own house!

FOUND!!!

On the shelf ABOVE the one with the terrarium there were some of my son's homework paperbooks. I was in the room, immobile, reading a newspaper, and I heard the sound only a snake makes, the continuos sound of scales over paper (a lizard makes an intermittent sound), I raised my eyes, and there he was, the little bugger.
    Stood, got to the shelf, and captured him in a split second, earning an immediate bite, I guess he was disappointed, not even one day at large!

Thanks for all the advices, fortunately not needed, and for the attention to another fellow snake lover.

Best regards!

Pg

Great news. Glad it had a happy ending.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Glad he's found. One of ours went missing a week or so back, and we only found her just after the cat spotted her and started to play... Luckily the cat does as I tell him and left the snake alone long enough for me to recapture her.
    It's a worrying time when they're on the loose. I don't suppose this has convinced your wife that you should increase your collection? ;-)
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Good job! Glad you found him!
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla

Horay! Another win for the garter people

Banned

Awsome. Happy ending. I did notice there was talk of dehydration. A garter would dehydrate rather quickly but coachwhips / whipsnakes are adapted to very arid habitat. They can go a very long time without water and get most of what they need from food instead of drinking.

Glad you found him though so he wouldn't have to.

Glad to hear there was a happy ending!
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."