Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    "PM Boots For Custom Title" Jeff B's Avatar

Re: Pied Garters.. Has anyone seen this?

OK, just to stop the rumors and innuendos before they get out of hand as usual. Here are the facts: most of what Shannon posted is accurate, and Bill is who placed the ad, however there actually has been a line from a less white expressed pied in existence for several years prior to the discovery of this particular high white pied. I will let Scott elaborate on the previous line if he chooses to do so, since I have not worked with it as he has. A couple days after this litter of new pied hets were born Scott and I both aquired groups of the hets from Bill. First on the agenda is to get them up to size and thriving, and hopefully in a couple years it will be proven to be a heritable recessive gene, but no garantee and yes it is a big investment of time and money, but worth the chance IMHO.
    Hope that clears some air.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Hope you guys get a couple of nice groups of pieds going; I'm probably still going to be drooling over them in a year or two just like I am now... Only hopefully I'll have more money then.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Jeff B's Avatar

Money does make the world go round so to speak, but right now my only concern is to keep this gene alive for the hobby's sake, it would be a shame to not one day see piebald garters as a common place in our hobby.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Very true.. I suppose that's the reason for the high prices though. They help scare away morph-crazy buyers who don't really know what they're doing, which probably ups the chance of the babies going to experienced breeders and getting the line established.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

The remainder of these het pied babies that are still available will be changing hands shortly... boy, she must have had a lot of them!!! I sure hope that this morph proves out... just for the cool factor. I mean, pied garter snakes? That's pretty neat, considering a lot of the other "pied" colubrids are not nearly as white or interesting looking. I do find them to be ugly, but it's kind of a love-hate thing, just like the dirty snows. They are really creepy looking but they are so ugly, they're cool
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

I am also getting a pair of the pied hets. Yes, Bill Minnick had the pied. He does a lot of garter stuff and pretty much stays off the forums. A friend of mine had a pied baby from a wild caught eastern garter from Illinois... small patch of white on the tail... here's a link to pics (I have a small group of his siblings)

index_15

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Bill is an old school guy... I wish I could afford to get a pair of these hets, but then again... I don't even really like pieds that much and I've got more important things to worry about! Like, my daughter and getting married... been shopping for my wedding ring!!! Window shopping that is... Can't buy it yet.
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Subadult snake

i think they're awsome looking!
    L. Hondurensis 0.0.1
    Jack Russel 1.0
    125 gallon Saltwater Tank

Subadult snake i_heart_sneakie_snakes's Avatar

I think they are really neat looking. I don't know that I am in love, but I sure do not think they are ugly. What did the mother die from??
    0.2.4 T.s. Fitchi - Flickabee and Salem
    0.1 T.s. Sirtalis - Failte

1.1 T.e.Vagrans - Lumiere and Pumpkin
    T.s. Pickeringii- Little Boy Blue

"First shed, A Success"

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
    OK, just to stop the rumors and innuendos before they get out of hand as usual. Here are the facts: most of what Shannon posted is accurate, and Bill is who placed the ad, however there actually has been a line from a less white expressed pied in existence for several years prior to the discovery of this particular high white pied. I will let Scott elaborate on the previous line if he chooses to do so, since I have not worked with it as he has. A couple days after this litter of new pied hets were born Scott and I both aquired groups of the hets from Bill. First on the agenda is to get them up to size and thriving, and hopefully in a couple years it will be proven to be a heritable recessive gene, but no garantee and yes it is a big investment of time and money, but worth the chance IMHO.
    Hope that clears some air.
    Thanks Jeff. Definitely worth it.
    I think I'm going to try as well... If Bill still has some by the time he gets my email.
    - Mike
    www.albinomilksnake.com
    Have twitter? Follow me @milksnakeMike