Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    "First shed In Progress"

Re: habitat augmentation.

Oh I considered that, the back of the tape is covered by cardboard, and its on the upper corner of the hide facing down. the intention was for her to go through the tube and hide under the tissue box, I made slits in the top too small for her to fit through but large enough for air to come in and out. However she seems to prefer to just crawl under it... which is fine by me... its only temporary. I'm going to pick up some of that waterproofing agent tomorrow at home depot and see about making her something more sturdy. I have an idea in mind. with any luck my years of screwing around with modeling clay will do me some good.

Also bear in mind I haven't gone 5 minutes without checking on her. I keep worrying that she'll get caught in something... In fact I had a scare this morning since she was half under the box and being quite still, of course as soon as I opened the lid she quickly vanished under it. I guess she likes my cheep adhoc canopy.

Really the only thing that bothers me is that she occasionally nudges against the glass in an attempt to escape. the tank is much larger than her, but its still a very small tank.. I just hope she's not feeling claustrophobic. If its even possible for a snake to have a phobia...
    when I was little they called me the snake man... as I was usually carrying around a bucket full of brown snakes.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Didymus20X6's Avatar

Wild snakes don't fully understand the concept of glass. It's natural for them to wonder, "Hey! Why can't I go beyond this point? Is it some sort of invisible barrier?" In time, they learn.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff.

Honestly, even if you think you know that the snake wont get caught in the tape, anything that CAN go wrong, usually will. Is it worth having even 10% of a chance of her getting caught in the tape, and possibly having her scales ripped off, or her tongue ripped out because she was rubbing on the box? Its better to err on the side of caution than to end up with the snake getting hurt in one of the worst ways possible.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

"First shed In Progress"

You have a point, of course as I said its only temporary. I'm going to try my hand at making a permanent one today. I just have to pick up some acrylic at home depot.
    when I was little they called me the snake man... as I was usually carrying around a bucket full of brown snakes.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    Snakes have a way of getting caught in it no matter how well you think you have it secured. The snake survived but that was the end of my tape use.
    Indeed they do. You're the lucky one. I lost a big female concinnus' I had for years. Had to put her down. She was so caught up in duct tape, there was no hope. I tried everything but she was already weak and missing a lot of scales. It was just too late since I had been gone for days. I had used the duct tape on the outside of the homemade screen top where it had begun to come loose from the frame. She still managed to get to it, even though there was no sticky part exposed or in the tank itself.

I will no longer use tape anywhere near a snake enclosure. Never again.

I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

Well, dang, neither will I now...

That sucks Richard.

Banned

It's not worth it, trust me. Make it a policy right now. No tape use in a snake room. In or out of the enclosures. And don't forget to check objects for stickers (and wire ties) and remove them before placing the object in the enclosure. Snakes are like a two year old child. If there's any hazard, no matter how unlikely it may seem, they're going to find it and get themselves hurt.

Still haven't found a good way to keep my thermos off the substrate without the included two-sided tape, (not using it, I just keep it on top of the hide).....But I sure as heck ain't gonna use it.

Glue it to the side.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

I don't want to it be permanent!