Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: WalMart Worms?

Juvenile snake

Re: WalMart Worms?

Yeah, I've noticed they don't always get shipments that frequently, especially in the winter months, but aside from that, I highly recommend the WalMart nightcrawlers.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BLUESIRTALIS's Avatar

The nightcrawlers are awesome to use i have never had any problems with them. Like Wayne stated don't never use the red worms because they can be toxic and they have a foul smell to them.
    Bluesirtalis

"Preparing For Third shed" Sonya610's Avatar

I have been digging up small earthworms in a little patch of the yard (the yard is 4 acres but I keep going to the easy little spot where the soil is turned). Seems like I am finding less and less, not good.

If i started to put out veggie scraps and a little paper to feed them I wonder if they would multiply faster, don't really want to go with the whole worm bin project as that seems like too much work and in this heat could result in a whole bin of dead worms if I forgot for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonya610 View Post
    I have been digging up small earthworms in a little patch of the yard (the yard is 4 acres but I keep going to the easy little spot where the soil is turned). Seems like I am finding less and less, not good.

If i started to put out veggie scraps and a little paper to feed them I wonder if they would multiply faster, don't really want to go with the whole worm bin project as that seems like too much work and in this heat could result in a whole bin of dead worms if I forgot for a few days.
    Try putting a rug or piece of plywood over the spot and wet it and keep it over that spot and when you flip the rug over daily you should have worms as long as it stays damp and shady.
    Bluesirtalis

Good suggestion
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by BLUESIRTALIS View Post
    Try putting a rug or piece of plywood over the spot and wet it and keep it over that spot and when you flip the rug over daily you should have worms as long as it stays damp and shady.
    Good idea, plus I could also throw some kitchen scraps in there under the plywood without attracting the attention of the canines.

Really do need to figure out a way to keep it most and worm populated, once the summer gets here and the ground drives out this Georgia clay gets rock hard.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sonya610 View Post
    Good idea, plus I could also throw some kitchen scraps in there under the plywood without attracting the attention of the canines.

Really do need to figure out a way to keep it most and worm populated, once the summer gets here and the ground drives out this Georgia clay gets rock hard.
    If you have any leftover reptile calcium powder you could sprinkle on the ground under the plywood, they really love that! We've raised worms for awhile now and they LOVE any sort of powdered vitamin supplements.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

Quote Originally Posted by d_virginiana View Post
    If you have any leftover reptile calcium powder you could sprinkle on the ground under the plywood, they really love that! We've raised worms for awhile now and they LOVE any sort of powdered vitamin supplements.
    Was thinking of grinding up some egg shells if that would work. I would have to order reptile calcium. If it ensures a lot more worms I may buy some, these little earthworms are skinny/tiny things (just used as appetizers to get the babies eating though).

Cracked egg shells and leafy green scraps might work. I don't know if i would use like meat scraps, but fruit and veggies should be ok.
    Bluesirtalis

I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

Thanks, I'll get DMF. I know to stay away from red wrigglers.

Those worm tricks worked for a friend..