Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Thermometers and Heating Element questions

We've tried that. Unfortunately, we don't have money to just go by things like that. All of our money is tied up, with maybe 5 dollars to spare. Since I got some bulk pinkies we might buy dry ice, we had a tiny little piece in the box and it cooled the living room down pretty quickly. Once I start getting some money in May or June I'll probably invest in some dry ice for my room. Till then, the ice water is free.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sonya610 View Post
    I won't artificially keep the whole tank that warm BUT the summer temps are naturally hot here, so yeah even with supplmental heat turned off (just the reptisun on) it will still be 80 degrees often during the summer. AC runs but doesn't keep it a frosty 70 degrees or anything.

They can tolerate that right? Natural heat in the 80ish range, or do I have a problem?

Edit just reread your post Redsided...so 65 to 80 is a good "cool side temp". Missed that the first time when you said don't heat the whole tank to 80+.
    When I said 80 that was a little too warm. Sorry. But that should be fine. 80 is a warm enough for the warm side. And if thats the case, than you want the cool side cooler than that... But if your gonna have 80 some of the year along with a heat lamp, try not to let it get to hot. Only in the summer probably wont hurt, though.

Banned

I can tell you now that those coralife themometers are total crap. Not in the least bit accurate. I think this might be because they are calibrated to work in water. They suck at taking air temp readings or even substrate surface temps. The one I had is pretty close to accurate at around 75 degrees but it reads higher than real above that, and gets more inaccurate with every degree. Below 75 it reads low. Same thing. The lower the real temp goes, the more innaccurate it gets. Basically, it's off by as much as 8 degrees unless the real temp is around 75 degrees and there's no way that I can see to fix the calibration.

I hear they are all like this. Terribly inaccurate. Too bad you already ordered them. Seriously you're much better off using a home weather station, preferably one that can monitor multiple probes. Springfield makes some nice ones. They are accurate and affordable. They have many models to choose from. Here's one that monitors 3 probes. It's under $60 Springfield Instruments 91586 Wireless Multi-Zone Digital Weather Center - Weather Station

"Preparing For Third shed" Sonya610's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    I can tell you now that those coralife themometers are total crap. Not in the least bit accurate.
    If only you had told me that a month ago when I first asked! LOL. I will look into that other thermometer, though I also have an accu-rite in one of the tanks and it reads exactly the same as the coralife.

Banned

Maybe I've just had bad luck with the coralife. I wasn't exactly surprised to find that both of them were way off since I paid less than $3 for them online. You'll pay more than that to replace the batteries in them.

"Preparing For Third shed" Sonya610's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    Maybe I've just had bad luck with the coralife. I wasn't exactly surprised to find that both of them were way off since I paid less than $3 for them online. You'll pay more than that to replace the batteries in them.
    Yeah, i ordered 3 new ones had just bought batteries, they were a bit more. Thing is the one I bought 3 years ago was still working so I was pleased with it, this time I got a bad one though.

Thinking about investing in an IR thermometer.