Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Danger Zone

Banned

Re: The Danger Zone

Tape or any other adhesive material in the enclosure or anywhere on the lid is very dangerous. Even if you don't think they can get to it, avoid using tape inside or outside on the enclosure and check all new objects for stickers and remove any found.

For enclosures near windows, keep in mind that the angle of the sun changes depending on the time of year. A safe place in summer may no longer be safe in winter or fall as the sun gets lower in the sky. Be sure that they are safe from direct sunlight at all times.

Do not build enclosures out of processed wood that may emit fumes or place such wood products inside an enclosure. Do not use cedar or pine. Plywood and rot resistant wood can be treated with harmful chemicals. Always be sure to use a wood product that is certified non toxic. Be sure that all materials placed in an enclosure are free of toxic paints, glues, and chemicals. These can cause liver and kidney damage over time.

Do NOT under any circumstances use a substrate that could contain cedar or pine products. This includes using potting soil as a substrate.

Don't have water dishes too tall for neonates.
    Flat, easy access water dishes are better for the young.
    Neonates should be monitored to see that they are drinking on their own.
    Dehydration is a big concern.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Thought I'd bump this up in the hopes of some more ideas.

Hanging lights that can cause burns or be used as an escape device.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

I know I have to be particularly careful about not placing tanks in front of heating vents in my house. Heat from heating vents can come out during the winter and heat the glass on the tank and cause the tank to become too warm for the snakes.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

"Preparing For First shed"

When letting your snake out to play, watch out for holes that lead into plumbing (or anywhere they can go in and not come out). Even if you're carefully monitoring your snake once they go into that hole, even partially, it could be dangerous to get them out.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Selkielass's Avatar

The tiny gap between the corners of metal lids can be enough, on some tanks, enough to allow a newborn to squiggle right out.
    I lost one little butler (the most avid climber of that litter.) for around a month. Fortunately Micro (Offspring of S.a.n.g.)found the floor drains for water and came out to sun itself in the light from the other tanks. s/he is still a tiny little thing though- lack of food set hir way back.

Bonniedale Farm Rescue snakehill's Avatar

Inexperienced keepers!!!
    Joanne 0.1 T.radix Jade / 0.1 T.s.sirtalis Jett

Yep! First babies ever, and I really thought their heads were wider than that less than 1/8 inch gap!
    Well, obviously snake heads are narrower than they are wide, much to my chagrin!

Sang is home for Christmas break, and eating like a pig. Living at the school has taught her to grip fingers tightly and hold on, rather than trust to be held, but she is otherwise thriving, fat and sassy. (In a polite butler-ish sort of way.)

I have noticed that there are some sharp points on some of the fake plants....and staples on log hides. I have no idea why someone would staple a tag to a log hide, but companies do. Also, I bought some plants that had suction cups that came on metal hooks that were very sharp and stuck out so that a snake could get injured on them. You really have to check plants and hides carefully before placing them in enclosures. I also bought a small coconut hide with a hole in the top that was the perfect size for a small garter to get his/her head stuck in...I ended up not using it!
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

I glue a spare button over holes in coconut shells. Hot glue or non toxic white glue (Elmers) work quite well and hold up to occasinal cleaning.