Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Getting ready to make a better enclosure

Keep your receipt and take the bad bulb back. Most stores will replace it.
    I've have them replace the bulb even without a receipt.
    I also watch the life I get out of under tank heaters. ZooMed is very good about replacing them.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Are our snakes happy? Probably difficult to know at best for sure. I can say though, for sure, that we provide a safer, more comfortable environment than they could ever have in the wild. They never have to worry about being hungry, being preyed upon, or being out in the elements. The W/C snakes have experienced the difference. My C/B babies know no other.

Sometimes I think that they should be left to their own but then I think about the wonderful things they have been able to experience in my home. I have to believe that they enjoy the safety of their environment. Though I don't think they will ever lose their fear of being prey, starving, or even freezing to death; amongst countless other hazards.

Now, my C/B babies, don't know any other lifestyle and I have to say, the spoiled children would not know how to care for themselves if thrust out into the wild.

To tell the truth, my W/C snakes "tolerate me" and my C/B babies absolutely enjoy (yes I said it!!!) the interaction and from what I can tell, look forward to it.

I have to say I think you are very intune with your snakes, Chantel; which makes you a very good Pet!
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

Steve, that's what were going to do next month and probably buy a couple more so Mama and Snakey can have a lamp. They let the babies have it, since it was for a better cause

My W/C snakes quickly took to the care they were given, warm pinkies every few days topped off with cut up worm icecream with extrea blood... All-you-can-eat salmon and tilapia... They really have the life here. Not to mention we bend over backwards, financially, for them. I find that my babies only seem to enjoy interaction if I'm feeding them. Mama will come up to the top of the enclosure and slither over to me of I take the top off, and I assume that would be because she would like some love. Snakey rarely does this, but he's a boy and you know how boys are when they're all grown up and their mom tries to hug and kiss them a bunch

I enjoy being a pet to my garters... The only thing is some of them wont share and end up hurting me ... Haha.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

Quote Originally Posted by kibakiba View Post
    I enjoy being a pet to my garters... The only thing is some of them wont share and end up hurting me ... Haha.

Welcome to the world of parenthood. You have to go thru that and then have your child realize what a wealth of information, love and compassion you are.

Go to Lowes or Home Depot for your lamps. They cost about $7.00 there instead of $21.00 and you can use the same bulbs. Great cost saver. They also have a wider frame. They don't break as easily (in case you don't know what I mean, have a kid drop one of those lamps from Petco on the floor. Not only do they dent but the bulb breaks and the frame dents and the thingy that holds all the wires falls apart)
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

Really? Mine has been pretty sturdy. I had twin toddlers in my house for almost 6 months... They broke everything they could get their sticky little hands on, but never ended up breaking the lamp. I'll keep that in mind though! It's always nice to have a big amount of savings

At least garters aren't as scary as humans... But then again I've only ever had a really bad experience with 3 of them... The twins, and my little brother. Haha. My little sister is less than a year old and is a little angel.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots

I have 2 from Petco and 1 from Home Depot. I'm going to get 2 more from Home Depot. I'm actually afraid the one that is broken from Petco may be a fire hazard. And since I can basically get 3 for the price of one from Petco, much better deal. Hey, if they can hold the bulb, what's the difference, except the amoun tof $$$ out of your pocket! Besides, the Home Depot ones have a broader "frame".
    Le Ann

Yeah, I wouldn't ever keep a fire hazard anywhere near my snakes, or anything flamable for that matter. The price is a good thing, but the frame bit doesnt really matter to me all that much. If it keeps my lovelies nice and toasty warm over the winter and won't randomly break, well that's all that really matters.
    Chantel

The one from Home Depot is sturdier. I'll see if I can get you a pic of what I mean.
    Le Ann

Designers Edge 8.5 in. Incandescent Clamp Light - E-245 at The Home Depot

I think this is listed at $8.97. It is a clamp lamp. Doesn't look as fancy but lasts a hell of alot longer, IMO.
    Le Ann

It actually does look pretty fancy to me... I'm not used to really shiny things
    Chantel