Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Brumating in fridge

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    Funny thing about studies done in the wild; conclusions can be drawn that don't necessarily apply well to captive snakes.
    I agree, but that doesn't mean that they don't apply.

Just don't bring them out of 45 F and stick them right in a 85 degree tank.
    I don´t want to argue about this, apparently you´re right.
    The temperature in my fridge is at least about 45°, in my cellar normally about 60°F and in my livingroom close to 70°.
    The average spring or fall temperature in my enclosures is 75° to 80°F and my routine
    for brumation is to put from the enclosure to a acrylic box, next day to put the box in my cellar and at the third day into the fridge.
    The warming in spring works vise versa.
    But `increasing the daylight hours very gradually´ sounds to me like a weeks lasting procedure.

BTW: From my impression Garter Snakes don´t mind illumination hours but heating time and natural daylight if noticeable.
    Allready waiting for the sommer
    best wishes bis bald Udo
    Breeding Redsides EGSA-Chairman

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan-A View Post
    I agree, but that doesn't mean that they don't apply.
    I also meant to imply that they don't apply to all species of garter snakes.

Northwesterns are sometimes seen on the surface close to the den entrances on warm winter days/cold spring days and they seem to function at relatively low temperatures and can even survive brief freezing. Concinnus' staying in the same dens don't come out at all in winter and it takes 4-7 days of warm weather to bring them out in the spring.

All this has got me to thinking and so I found some active USGS ground temperature monitoring stations in my area which monitor varying depths. It will be interesting to see how the data coincides with the snakes' emergence next spring. In the mean time, I have requested by email, data from last winter/spring.

I also meant to imply that they don't apply to all species of garter snakes.
    You´re right. Sadly most studies are about Redsided Garter Snakes only and than generalized to the genus or even to all serpents. About some species of the genus is only known that they are!

It will be interesting to see the results of your research.
    Allready waiting for the sommer
    best wishes bis bald Udo
    Breeding Redsides EGSA-Chairman

Banned

I still say these local snakes are prompted by the gradual warming of the ground, and brumate shallow enough to be influenced and prompted by it, to emerge. But like I said, I know when they emerged en masse in the spring and when I get the data, I'll see if it supports that idea.

I still say these local snakes are prompted by the gradual warming of the ground, and brumate shallow enough to be influenced and prompted by it, to emerge. But like I said, I know when they emerged en masse in the spring and when I get the data, I'll see if it supports that idea.
    I don't know about garters, but adders move a lot vertically through the den during the winter. Sometimes they're at a depth of maybe 2 meters, sometimes 10 cm.

Banned

Makes sense that they would do that. There is a certain depth where the temperature below ground remains constant. However, right now, that constant depth is considerably cooler than the upper levels. That of course changes once (and if) we get a long hard freeze. At that point, they'd be better off going deeper. Our winters vary a lot. Sometimes we can go several years with very mild winters, other years we get pounded by below-freezing temperatures for weeks and the ground can remain frozen for a month or more.

Let me show you what the last 7 days looks like: