Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: my own build.

Banned

Re: my own build.

Yes, this looks great for certain custom enclosures. And yes, I am aware of the material/chemical dangers. This is something that is best cured for 6-12 months, and well ventilated during that time. After complete cure, the material poses no acute risk to inhabitants. It's brilliant.

"Preparing For First shed" De Foezel's Avatar

LISTEN TO ME THIS POLYESTHER IS MADE FOR USE ON BOATS AND ONLY HAS TO DRY OUT FOR 2 TO 3 WEEKS
    this has to do with the fact that in the netherlands boats have to be enviroment friendly build (so the water isnt messed up)

Very nice indeed.
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

really nice
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

"First shed, A Success" Barak666's Avatar

But it is a bit different between a boat and an enclosure, the boat is use is open air and huge amount of water, compare to an enclosure where your animal will be confine et constantly expose to ester fumes if the resin his not well polymerized and neutral. So better wait longer that not enough.

I don't said it about your project, but mostly to the other who would like to try it after viewing your enclosure.

Banned

He has made it clear and I will say it once more. The material is safe for using to build enclosures but it must be allowed to cure. At least 6months would pass before I would place live creatures in there but longer would be better perhaps. Once all gas releases, residues, and vapor leaching is done, it is quite safe and easy to make it very clean with regular maintenance.

now u made me nervous about it............
    I AM ALSO USING HEAT TO CURE IT FASTER.
    ill just use a fish or live mouse for chekking if the enclosure is safe
    if they die it isnt safe for the snake.

Banned

Live mice will chew into the material. Snakes do not. Fish could die for any reason. Heat does not "cure", time does. Heat only hastens the hardening.

Best to wait about 6 mos after completion. IF you have access to a "sniffer" device used to monitor gases in a confined space work area, then close it up completely for a day after the curing is complete and use that device. A thorough sniffer device will reveal any dangerous components in the air. Don't forget about the underside air pocket. Unless it's vented during the cure period, gasses could be trapped and released later.

IMHO, this material is no more dangerous than common garbage. While garbage is "curing" dangerous gases are emitted. After that is complete, it's as inert as rock or sand. Astroturf, commonly used as a reptile liner is made of plastics which emit dangerous gases when it is first molded. Harmless once it's cured and washed throroughly. Afterall, it's no more dangerous, once cured, than a polyester shirt. Essentially, that's what it is. I would have no problem with keeping my snakes on polyester. I just wouldn't want them there breathing the fumes when the polyester is being manufactured.

i will contain the mouse(in a glass jar with holes in the top)
    if it dies im 1 euro down.
    (not ethicly correct , but its the cheapest way)
    if it doesnt die within 48 hours i supose im safe.......
    sorry to al of you mouse loving peoples..

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by De Foezel View Post
    i will contain the mouse(in a glass jar with holes in
    if it doesnt die within 48 hours i supose im safe.......
    That would not necessarily be a correct assumption. Oftentimes the death can take months of slow organ damage. Don't worry, that stuff is safe. Just cure it for a long time.

Looks like a minimum amount of materials would cost me about $65 but that would be enough to do many enclosures. About 10 perhaps.