Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Iv just been lunged at

Quote Originally Posted by adamanteus View Post
    With aggresive snakes I normally just "neck" them. That is hold them gently but firmly directly behind the head, whilst supporting their body weight with the other hand.
    Can't get close enough. It takes off before I can reach it.

"Preparing For Second shed"

My digits is all fine until you try to take him from the tank then he's gone like a bullet!

LOL...I wish my little Petra would just "lunge" at me. She usually just latches on and I have to use a spray bottle to get her to let go. I think she must be a reincarnated python or something....she keeps thinking she can eat me! LOL
    Roy
    0.1 T.s.pallidulus

Quote Originally Posted by GarterGuy View Post
    LOL...I wish my little Petra would just "lunge" at me. She usually just latches on and I have to use a spray bottle to get her to let go. I think she must be a reincarnated python or something....she keeps thinking she can eat me! LOL
    AW! You're probably just sweet!
    KitKat
    "Acts of kindness should never be random."

"First shed In Progress" RedSided's Avatar

Heres a trick that I use, it may take a while, when you want the snake out of the cage just open the door slightly ,perhaps tap something to let the snake know you are doing something and then rather than lunging your hand into the cage(because thats how your little buddy sees it) try leaving the palm of you hand at the opening and let the snake smell you first.
    What could have happened is that the snake has started ascosiating your hand lunging in there with feeding time.So whether or not you have food he/she will automatically get exited( as garters are notorious for at feeding time) and lunge for anything thats moving, your hand included.

It could just be that you spooked the snake by raising you hand above it, many take it as a challange and strike out others hiss,flatten or dart all over the place trying to get away.

hope this helps
    Does your water bowl look like a toilet, it does? Guess I will have to change it again

Quote Originally Posted by adamanteus View Post
    With aggresive snakes I normally just "neck" them. That is hold them gently but firmly directly behind the head, whilst supporting their body weight with the other hand.
    That's how I always used to catch most snakes, but I would get musked every single time.. So, now I avoid it even with wild snakes.. To me, a bite from a garter is better then stinking all day. With my luck, it's usually right before lunch, and I just can't eat anything.. Ew.
    Hannah

"First shed In Progress" RedSided's Avatar

mine rarely musks any more , she just huffs at me and twitches.
    Does your water bowl look like a toilet, it does? Guess I will have to change it again

It's so cute when it's angry. My female just gave my hand a [less than] friendly bump and gave my sleeve a proper bite.

my snakes must be extra mellow
    the only time I've ever gotten bit, was when I stuck my hand into the tank after I'd touched a pinkie
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain