Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    "First shed In Progress"

Re: Dillema: blood in feces and legal problem?

I feel you Guido. Thank you. However NY is insane. The health and human services just went after one of my neighbors for selling wild picked mushrooms. Apparently there must be someone from the government who approves the sale of said mushrooms as safe, but there is no one in the position qualified to approve his mushrooms on demand, nor is there any plans on creating this position just for this guy and maybe one or two other people who wild pick and sell, so he was fined and shut down. I think I heard this is the same in NY for a license for wild animals, you have to take a class, however there is no one who teaches the class. Or maybe I read it on here about another state, its been a long day.

Hi, I'm New Here!

New York is pretty crazy with its laws. I just moved to Utah and it seems like they have a better system for collection of wildlife. Growing up I had countless garter snakes that I kept until my parents made me release them. Like others said there are usually more serious matters for them to tend to rather than spend resources on a single garter. If it were a rattlesnake or a massasauga you might worry about getting in trouble haha.

Quote Originally Posted by confused View Post
    Thanks everyone for the advice.

I would love to keep her, but I got this in the mail after asking about a license for her after I found her.

So, she shouldn't be my pet as far as I can tell, and I'm worried about trying to get care for her, it is cold outside already, I am near Ithaca. I wish she could be cared for by me, but, I really don't want fish and game after me for trying to rehab a dying animal. I'll post a pic or two later.
    Ask the same office if there is any provision for a "scientific collection permit" as there is in Ohio. Here, if you can prove you are doing research, even as simple as observation for publishing a "Note", then you can apply for that permit. You might also search for a reptile rescue in NY, and ask them how they handle rehab of wild snakes that are found in houses... etc.
    KitKat
    "Acts of kindness should never be random."

Hi, I'm New Here!

If you are by Ithaca then you are by Cornell which may take it. I looked into finding a reptile rescue around that area (I grew up in Cortland) and had absolutely no luck. The closest reptile rescue I've heard of was around NYC.

"First shed In Progress"

Snake is not pooping blood anymore, it's just white material. Vet can see her in two weeks, I'm still feeling out everything else. She has stopped eating now, no interest really, I have never met such a finicky creature before. Maybe it's shed time, but her eyes are clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot_H View Post
    The closest reptile rescue I've heard of was around NYC.
    yup - this one - Sean Casey Animal Rescue: Home
    it's the one around the corner from me

Quote Originally Posted by confused View Post
    Snake is not pooping blood anymore, it's just white material. Vet can see her in two weeks, I'm still feeling out everything else. She has stopped eating now, no interest really, I have never met such a finicky creature before. Maybe it's shed time, but her eyes are clear.
    the white stuff is pee
    the red stuff was probably from the salmon
    at this time of the year most of them become finicky because in the wild they stop eating to prepare for brumation
    a vet visit is a good idea anyhow

oh - and fish and wildlife will not come after you - they're underfunded and busy enough with actual morons
    if you were per chance reported (unlikely), the worst that will happen is that they'll take the snake, give you a warning, and the snake will end up right in my neighbourhood, where my local rescue guy will end up shaking his head over the fact that he has to host a garter pretty much indefinitely because it can't be released and because of the laws he can't adopt it out
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain