Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Re: Turning "junk" into a cage..

Nope, the snake going in it is close to 7 feet long and the screen I am using is the really really fine mesh kind, like window screen. He's far too large to hurt himself on that. And besides, I have never witnessed Ra trying to get out! He's so content, he just sits in one of his various hides and peeks out at me.
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

looking forward io seeing the progress on that
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

So we have decided we are definitely ripping off the old door and starting fresh!
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Quote Originally Posted by aSnakeLovinBabe View Post
    Didn't get to work on the cage today, I was too darned busy!

But, It's the other way around as far as I am concerned. I had the HARDEST darned time meeting guys who still wanted to talk to me after meeting the snakes. They were fine with me right up until they learned about the snakes! In High School, I was simply, "that girl with the snakes". Then I met Eddie. We invited his family (they're neighbors, actually), He showed up late, I was drunk, drug him into my snakeroom within 5 minutes of meeting him and we've been inseparable ever since

...even though he doesn't own any snakes! but he likes them. which is good! MY SNAKES. all mine.
    hey u too....all through middle school i was called lizard freak or freak for short....7ft snake!!!!!!!!!!!! what is it?
    ROBERT The Reptilian Teen

"growing old is mandatory

growing up is optional "

That would be Ra, my adult male king rat snake. I love him to pieces. He's the guy in my avatar! I also have two others who are growing up FAST!

Well, the cage is done! I simply love it! My dad decided that the way I wanted to do it was too simple, so he decided to get involved and together we turned this old piece of crap into something really nice! First I made brother and boyfriend drag the thing outside for a serious scrub down. Despite being blasted with a hose and scrubbed, the fractured glass still stood as if it were not even cracked. remember, this is what it looked like before:

I ripped the old door off the top. This involved bending over until I was literally upside down and in the tank while attempting to unscrew rusted corroded screws with a dying electric screw gun. Somehow I managed not to fall over. We got some long planks of wood and my dad brought out his sawblades. We cut the pieces to build a frame to fit exactly flush with the entire top of the tank and then used cabinet-making biscuits and wood glue to put the pieces all together. This is nice because it makes a seamless look without any screws being used. We put them into clamps to let the glue dry overnight. We used the same process to frame the doors themselves. We also cut out grooved in the backs of the door windows to install screen mesh. We used silicone sealant, the wood strips from cutting the grooves and a staple gun to apply that.

Then I lined the cracks with epoxy, and we put a sheet of some white plastic stuff down over the bottom, and glued it down with liquid nails. My dad was kind enough to, instead of just making squiggles... writing my name with the glue!The next day i took all the wood pieces into the field and spray painted it all black. I like black. We attached all the metal parts (hinges handles and deadbolts to hold the doors closed) and the doors and frame were made! We then glued the frame to the tank with some heavy duty construction glue he had laying around and applied buckets of drywall mud overnight. It is some strong stuff. If you tried to pull it off now, the plastic frame holding the tank together would come off first! I once again enslaved boyfriend and brother to lug the thing up the stairs and into the bedroom where it now occupies what once was an awkwardly large empty space against the wall. I applied background to the bottom (now the back since we lay the tank on its side).

I then added aspen, Ra's favorite hideys, a water bowl and plants and a strip light. I then added into the mix, one very angry Ra, my big male king rat snake, who is in shed. He of course showed his gratitude in giving him such a nice new home by turning around and attempting to bite me at least 10 times, pushing his hidey out of it's designated spot, and then flailing rattling, and smacking his huge tail around, shooting aspen all over the place, including, but not limited to, my mouth, the water bowl, and the carpet outside of the cage. The cage's floor space is 4 feet long by just a little over 2 feet wide. I am very pleased with how this project turned out!

That turned out awesome.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Adult snake

One person's junk is another's treasure! Outstanding job ,give yourselves a pat on the back!

"Third shed, A Success" MasSalvaje's Avatar

I need to start looking for cracked aquariums! It looks awesome!

-Thomas