Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Never shed

Re: Possible seizures?

I've actually tried offering earthworms and I can't get her to show any interest. Not that she's been showing interest in food recently anyway. I'm so used to tease-feeding my ball python that not being able to tease-feed feels so strange.
    0.1.0 Indonesian Striped Keelback - Maja
    1.0.0 Ball Python - Ripley
    1.0.0 Black Russian Hamster - Nikita
    0.1.0 Roborovski Hamsters - Lucy
    1.0.0 DSH Cat - Victor

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Didymus20X6's Avatar

Here's a question:

Does ingesting the thiaminase cause the deficiency, by destroying thiamine in the snake, or does the thiaminase simply rob the food item of the much-needed thiamine content? Can a thiamine-enriched food source counterbalance the ingestion of thiaminase?
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff.

"First shed, A Success"

no yes yes.

adding Vitamin b aka thiamine (think vitamin B) can counteract this problem from my understanding. the question is how much thiamine to add before you risk toxic levels? :P

That is something that is requiring more looking into..

the amount to add also depends on the amount of thiaminase in the fish.

I am pretty sure it is a matter of the breaking down.. though could be a matter of preventing absorption. I would have to re-look it up again. Though I think it is the prior.

If the prior is the case if I remember right. You would have to ensure that the thiamine level is sufficient to withstand the amount of thiaminase breakdown by time it gets to the snakes stomach and is digested enough for the snake to absorb the thiamine.

Quote Originally Posted by Didymus20X6 View Post
    Here's a question:

Does ingesting the thiaminase cause the deficiency, by destroying thiamine in the snake, or does the thiaminase simply rob the food item of the much-needed thiamine content? Can a thiamine-enriched food source counterbalance the ingestion of thiaminase?
    I don't think it's as easy as putting in extra good to cancel out the bad. The bad still is there.
    This very issue was discussed in depth in another thread. I will they to find it and link to it.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

supplementing is tricky business
    you should definitely get your snake onto a different diet, if she survives this - it sounds quite serious
    I've never heard of xenochrophis taking worms - I don't think they do - but I had no trouble switching mine to frozen/thawed rodents
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

B1vitamens is what my vet said but i couldnt find capsuls so i switched diet...and vet asap!!! its tricky changing a diet but i changed mine from nothing to minows to pinkys!!! pm me if u nedd a stepby step instructions on how i did it! o take to VET look at the thread "tangs in trouble" maybe thats whats goin on!
    ROBERT The Reptilian Teen

"growing old is mandatory

growing up is optional "