Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Substrate

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Re: Substrate

I use newspaper pellet and Aspen. I also like coconut fibre for high humidity animals like my sunbeam snake. Aspen is not snake killer, otherwise all my snakes would be dead! just don't leave the snakes unattended while eating! I used to use corn cob, but stopped when even though I was hand feeding babies, I lost two or three due to a piece of it being ingested. I think some of them became over zealous AFTER feeding and just grabbed a piece and ate it. I was able to save one baby by purging it all the way from his lower stomach out his mouth. (I don't advise doing that.) I like kitty soft newspaper pellet because its incredibly absorbant, it's chunky and heavy and it rarely sticks to food, and if a piece does somehow get pasty my watch and eaten, it softens when wet and will pass through.
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Never shed

Just was at the Herp vet on Moday at the vet colleage and was advised to use Aspen but not to keep it thick enough for the snakes to burrow in as then can occasionally scratch and eye or damage scales. So depending on the size of your snake either barely cover the bottom or make it no more than 1/4 inch thick (as per vet). Aspen is what we have now switched all our snakes to ( 2 corns, 1 king, 1 radix).
    Tisha referee to: 1.0Husband2.0Children 3.4.1Corns-Zeus, Kratos, Hades, Artemis, Hera, Gaea,Aphrodite, Nyx0.0.1Kings-Cronus0.0.1Foster Corn2.0Dogs-Niko, Wicket0.2Cats-Fluffy, Bandit 7.5Daycare Kids

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Snake lover 3-25's Avatar

i use reptibark.... it works great is washable, not horribly expensive.... and takes away any smell there may be..... it also keeps the humidity up....
    S h a n l e y
    1.3 eastern garters
    1 midland painted turtle
    1 bernese mountain dog
    1 half siamese cat

"Third shed, A Success" prattypus's Avatar

A vote for CareFresh here.
    Jason--
    Red 5 Standing By...

I use Eco Earth with my two checkereds.... It is a coconut fibers that comes in a brick....add water and presto! I put just enought in the tank for the two to burrow in and then the snakes get fed off of a plate to help insure that they are not eating any of the coconut fibers..... I saw mentioned in this thread repti carpet? what is that?

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    I use crushed corn cob. It's cheap and goes a long way. It absorbes and cuts down on odor. Feces is easily cleaned up.
    The problem is its size. It is very small and can be ingested very easily. It forces me to hand feed eveyone of my snakes. I don't think a piece or two would cause a problem for an adult snake but it could cause a blockage in a smaller one. The other drawback is the face it molds quickly and must be removed if gotten wet. It has its advantages but forces more time spent watching to make sure it doesn't get eaten. For me it works. Your doing the right thing by asking. Get a lot of opinions and decided for yourself.
    Steve may I ask where you get your crushed corn cob substrate from?

thanks!
    Stephanie

I use Ultra Carefresh for my garters/dekayi's/ribbons

I use newspaper & apsen for my Ball pythons
    Stephanie

Quote Originally Posted by reptile3 View Post
    Steve may I ask where you get your crushed corn cob substrate from?

thanks!
    I purchase it from a local Pet shop. Comes in a 40lb bag for about $20. The company that produces it is here in Iowa but not close. The other problem is they don't sell retail. They will sell me a pallet load. The cost goes down to about $8 a bag but I can't hall that much or use that much. About $425.00 for a load. I can send you the company name if you want it. Just let me know.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

TwistidMutations

i use carefresh and aspen they both work really well

I use aspen for my ball pythons, red tail boa, and corns. I use reptibark for my ribbon and garters for now. When I clean the tanks out I'm going to try a product I got from the feed store that's just like carefresh, but comes in bigger bags and is WAY less expensive. I'm not sure how much I'll like it yet.
    Brook