Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Juvenile snake

Re: Flippin cat plus reptile tanks= UGH!

Nice pic Wayne And back to the thread at hand. My wife and I have four cats. Two of them are very outgoing and were very interested in the recent addition to our family. That being our pet Ribbon and his 20 gallon long. At first they were doing the same thing and actually trying to chase him with their paws when he would slither around. Probably thought he was a string of some sort. However, through repeated dousings with a spray water bottle and the addition of a hood lamp on the screen this has all but stopped. I do occasionally see them sitting on our bed staring at the tank, but I'm pretty sure they don't jump up there anymore.
    Patrick and sometimes Bethany

Silver has been a really great cat, She will sit in the reptile room staring into cages all day.

I have even been known to leave the covers off the mouse colony boxes (Airing them out) and she won't even bother them.

My now deceased Felix (Nicknamed "Rambo") would have slain them all.

When Silver got into that tank, she didn't harm a single snake, I did freak out for a minute.

"Third shed, A Success" mtolypetsupply's Avatar

I think it all depends on your cat, whether you want to try to train them or keep them off the area. There are products out there to set up boundaries for your animals, indoor and outdoor. I'll poke around into my suppliers and see if there's a cat product available, I know they have cat radio fence for outdoors.

You can try to make the lids cat proof and strong enough to withstand the weight of the cats, or build a bigger cage around the enclosures, so the cat can't even get to them.

you can also try all sorts of home methods that involve making the cat uncomfortable. For example, put lots of pieces of tape upside down on where the cat goes. The tape will stick to the cat, cat will HATE it, and hopefully stop going on there. Or the cat will just figure out that sooner or later, all the tape will be stuck to it, go lick/bite the tape off, and now hop up on the tapeless surface. Don't use super-sticky stuff, just clear packing or scotch tape.

There are some sound aversion products too, cat hops up, sound goes off, cat runs away.

It's all about budget and what inconvenience you are willing to deal with either long term, or intense until the cat gets with the program.

Stephi
    check out our new website at
    www.HerpEden.com

I think it's a matter of just being extra cautious. Respect and understand your cat for who he is, and don't blame him for reacting to the huge temptation that you've put before him. I've recently learned the hard way that ALL reptile tanks should have reinforced tops. You won't stop your cat from getting on top of them (unless you have a reptile room); cats love that warmth. So make a good solid top for your reptiles and understand that it is up to you to protect your reptiles. I'm still sick over loosing Esme but I also understand it was my fault, not the cat who laid on her tank for the warmth of the heat lamp. All my tanks have now been double and triple checked and reinforced, and everyone is happy.
    Lori, New Hope Rescue-- rescuing equines and others
    www.newhoperescueva.com

my cats are good with all my reptiles, yeah they are curious... but they see the spray bottle, & sometimes RUNS, & other times just sit there. My Ginger is intrigued by the iguana.. she sits next to his tank!

Ginger likes all my reptiles, she is curious. Jake he is like, ok a different animal, sniff & ok i am done. I used to find Kimmie(my old Siamese cat) on top of the bearded dragon cage, then ginger did too. so that lid is all messed up.

Sorry your cat is being that way, all these new creatures, the cat is very curious!! Try tapping your cat on the nose & say NO!!!

My cats like my flowers when I get some.. I told them no, tapped them on the nose. they don't anymore..LOL I have to hide cat treats though, the cats will rip them OPEN!
    Stephanie

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Snake lover 3-25's Avatar

you could try putting tape sticky side up on the top of the tank..... just in random spots..... after getting stuck a few times she should stop trying.... i've heard that putting tinfoil over things like plants scares the cats away too.... that should work..
    S h a n l e y
    1.3 eastern garters
    1 midland painted turtle
    1 bernese mountain dog
    1 half siamese cat

o ha ha stephi beat me to it lol that's why you read all the replies before posting lol
    S h a n l e y
    1.3 eastern garters
    1 midland painted turtle
    1 bernese mountain dog
    1 half siamese cat

And_Lyn

Thanks for all the tips. I will try them. I've tried the water bottle, the nose tapping, the light butt tap...nothing works lol. My cat is a little brat

yeah mine too lol thankfully my tank is up too high mow and she can't reach it lol i'd try the tape or tinfoil.....
    S h a n l e y
    1.3 eastern garters
    1 midland painted turtle
    1 bernese mountain dog
    1 half siamese cat

And_Lyn

Quote Originally Posted by Snake lover 3-25 View Post
    yeah mine too lol thankfully my tank is up too high mow and she can't reach it lol i'd try the tape or tinfoil.....

I'll try it once we move. We're gonna keep the tanks in our room for now and just keep the door closed. Thanks