Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: You did what!

It's all about the Fuzzies jitami's Avatar

Re: You did what!

Well, we can't get feeder guppies here commercially and it'll be some time before these few have their babies and the babies get big enough to eat, but eventually they'll have healthy fishies to hunt for in their bowls
    Tami

Oh. Because you know, it seems to me that, aside
    from being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal.

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dekaybrown View Post
    Now that was as close to a "miraculous" recovery of a lost garter ever told.

It's one thing to find them while still confined to the house, another thing altogether to find one under those circumstances.!!

OK I have told this one before, but here goes again...

When we first found Xena my Dekayi (favourite) queen and goddess, she seemed lonely, so I found her a friend.

As fate would have it, Speedy turned out to be a male, and Xena a female... at the time I didn't know the difference, nor really cared.

Well a few months later Xena delivered a batch of babies right before my eyes! oh I shall never forget that day....

Anyhow one of the babies was trapped in it's birthing membrane, had wrote it off as "stillborn" but wait, this "dead" baby is moving.

I ran to the cupboard and grabbed a toothpick, used it to peel away the membrane, and as soon as the little scrub got his first breath of air he started flicking his tongue as if to say "thank you"

I kept him for two years, until he passed away from the deformity that should have caused his demise that day.

He had a restriction in his neck, and could only eat very tiny portions of food, He damn near choked on me once, but Dorothy saved him that time.

Thankfully with all that effort little "Speedy Junior" got nearly 2 years of life that was never meant to be.

Here is the goodbye thread.

http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/gart...mbs-today.html

I have midwifed MANY a baby garter snake

nothing gives me greater pleasure than to hold a tiny snake still in its sac and watch it realize it's alive, break through that sac and take their first breath ith their mouth wide open, and flick their teensy weensy tongue for the first time ever! It's an amazing expierience.
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Mine would be when I was treating a male Eastern for mites. I had placed him in a container of water to soak and got busy treating his viv. I looked in on him a few minutes later and he was "belly up". I grabbed him out of the water, started squeezing the water out of him and blowing in his mouth.

That wat 3 or 4 years ago and I still have him.
    Sid
    9.14 T. s sirtalis, 2.2. T. ordinoides, 1.1 T. e vagrans, 1.1 T. s parietalis,
    1.0 T. s sackenii- Peninsular Ribbon

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    Mine would be when I was treating a male Eastern for mites. I had placed him in a container of water to soak and got busy treating his viv. I looked in on him a few minutes later and he was "belly up". I grabbed him out of the water, started squeezing the water out of him and blowing in his mouth.

That wat 3 or 4 years ago and I still have him.
    that's one story I'll never forget, and I do tell people I know someone who did mouth-to-mouth resuscitation on a snake
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

Awesome! Sid

Sid my hero

It's all about the Fuzzies jitami's Avatar

Wow Sid!!!! Very nice save!!!
    Tami

Oh. Because you know, it seems to me that, aside
    from being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal.

amazing Sid, that is great!! Shannon, that was a precious moment!!

* mine doesn't pertain to snakes, but 2 yrs ago, a stray cat I had been feeding, I realized she was pregnant. One night around 11:30pm (it had to be 80 degrees out), started to have her babies on my back porch. Seeing those little beauties was soo sweet. Me, My son & daughter watched as the cat had her babies. 5 black- females.

I had to keep her & the babies for 2 weeks in the basement, I liter trained the momma cat. We got to see the eyes open on 2 of the babies. It was sooo sweet. I gave the mom & babies to a rescue place, that would either keep them or give them a nice loving home. It took alot of calling, emailing & searching. *
    Stephanie

I am not obsessed.... GartersRock's Avatar

Well I have gone out to catch a hundred minnows waist deep in the ridiculously cold (for us Texans ) San Marcos river while it was 30 degrees out for 2 hours....

Hand removed a hundred or so long skinny worm things from under the skin of one of my male checkereds Keiran. ICK!!! I was gagging the whole time.

Hand treated for mites w/non toxic spray. I had dead mites all over me because this mean as heck 6 ft TX rat snake wouldn't hold still. And I always felt like I had them on me for two days after that. LOL I didn't.

I have been musked countless times. But the worst are the Diamondback water snakes. POOLS of it!!! It's crazy!! And they SLING it. All over. Splatters everywhere. Even on my face on a few occasions. Thank God it isn't as long lastingly concentrated as the TX rat snakes.... AHH

Revived newborn babies still in their sacks.

We have all touched untold amounts of gross things I am sure we never thought we would touch. LOL!

And I won't go into anymore specifics. Though there are plenty. To tired to think right now. And I have to go feed all the babies in a few minutes. lol
    Amanda Tolleson

"First shed In Progress"

My story isn't of a garter, but of a baby fox snake.

He was only a few weeks old, around 12 inches long and sweet for a little baby. One day I was taking out all of his "furniture" - 2 hides, a fake plant, driftwood, and a cute little Snoopy bobble head....and the snake wasn't in there. After losing my garter in the house a couple times I searched in all the "normal" places. Those places were all empty. I pulled out the couch, flipped it over, nothing. Pulled out the water dragon enclosure, nothing! Pulled every single peice of furniture and appliance I could in the entire apartment, and found NOTHING. I let all the decor' sit out of the enclosure while panicking. I continued to search for several hours until the fiance' came home to help me look. An hour after he got home, I found the snake...INSIDE of the Snoopy bobble head (after I had checked it numerous times, I someone over looked the baby!) It took about 45 minutes of running water into the bobble head and pouring it out to "flush out" the snake to make sure he was alright (I had moved the head around while searching, and feared I caused injury.) The snake came out, and was unharmed. We named him Snoopy after that.

Unfortunately, Snoopy died about a month after this incident. He never would eat, and as a last resort, we tried force feeding him...in which he died in my hands the next day. We have no idea what killed him...and after more research we found it could not have been starvation. There was something else wrong with poor Snoopy.
    50+ rats, 9 mice, 10 ASFRs, 3 geckos, 4 gerbils, 5 snakes, 3 rabbits, 2 frogs, 2 dogs, 1 opossum, 1 chinchilla, 2 hamsters, 3 water dragons, 1 newt, and 1 fiance'.