Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Re: Neighbors think your nuts?

LOL! thats funny. I got to chat with my supervisor at work thanks to a neighbor. I am an animal control officer. a neighbor called in about my snakes....they already knew about my critters and told the lady everything I had was legal and there's no issue with me. everyone at work comes to me with reptiles anyway for id purposes...

Tami, huge black dogs... newfies?? Danes??

And, python in the back yard? Like in a permanent outdoor enclosure?
    Lori, New Hope Rescue-- rescuing equines and others
    www.newhoperescueva.com

It's all about the Fuzzies jitami's Avatar

Cool job, Don. I've gotten to meet two of our local AC Officers thanks to my neighbor.... sigh... " sure, come on in, yes they have fresh water, yes they have food, what's that? You don't think it was them barking? Yeah, me either. Oh, and they look like they're in good weight and condition? Can you please let the neighbor know that? Again? Thanks... sigh..." She once complained because my dog was out in the rain(for a few minutes!) without cover. They don't have cover outside because they don't stay outside. They go out to potty and then back in to the couch. She called because they were barking. They weren't. She called because my male looked skinny. He's 37" tall at the shoulder and they do go through a gangly period at about 12-18 months old, but he was totally healthy and being fed 6 cups of super premium food 3 times a day. He's getting older now and has a lick granuloma(open sore that he won't stop licking... fairly common in dogs, but totally sucks) and I'm just waiting for AC to show up again. It's actually been a couple of years now. They're over due <gg>
    Tami

Oh. Because you know, it seems to me that, aside
    from being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal.

Yeah, Danes and my boy is on the large side for a dane. And Yep, a permanent enclosure with a filtered pond, etc. The teenage boys built it and they did a pretty decent job. I have no idea if it's the perfect conditions for their snake, but they've had him set up back there for a few years now, so must be working out ok. Oh, and, imagine that, they're the family that likes my dogs, too.
    Tami

I may be alone in this, but in my way of thinking, medicine goes down better with a little honey.

For neighbors who are by nature "nosey", the less I reveal the better. I think any snake conversation with them would just add fuel to the fire. So I avoid it. I know nothing good will come of it, so why hand them the gun AND the bullets.

Although I like snakes and feel they have gotten a bad wrap, some people just don't want anything to do with them and feel all snakes are hostile and harmful. It's bad information I know, but I have to be sensitive to it. Coming across as anything arrogant or condecending isn't going to help the cause. So it's not a bad idea to get a feel for your audience before you reveal too much.

Case in point. I own several firearms. I don't advertise that. Not because someone might think I'm dangerous, but because the wrong ears might hear it. I don't want to increase the odds of my house being broken into, so some things I keep close to my chest.

At least that's how I feel. I enjoy my privacy as well, and if I had a neighbor that kept up with calling AC, I'd document it, and at some point have a conversation with a legal beagle about harrasment laws. That's about all you can do.

Greg

Lori, here's a really old website I made for my boy. It's mostly dog show stuff and hasn't been updated in forever, but especially on the second page there are pictures during his "gangly teenage stage" (click Louie Pictures on the very bottom of first page) Not that it really matters, but he did finish his championship and had some very nice breed wins. He's always been a family member first. He and I traveled all over the country together, which created a very strong bond and a very well socialized and well behaved dog. I love him so much. The blue boy on the second page was a rescue, and "Chance" the blonde fluffy pup was on his last day at the pound and did not pass his temperament tests(uh-oh). He's still the best dog we've ever had! I do love the dog shows, but have learned that breeding isn't for me, so not sure if I'll go with another rescue at some point or a show puppy. I think I've mentioned hubby's pet moratorium on here before <gg> I have a while to decide <gg>

HOME
    Tami

Quote Originally Posted by jitami View Post
    Cool job, Don. I've gotten to meet two of our local AC Officers thanks to my neighbor.... sigh... " sure, come on in, yes they have fresh water, yes they have food, what's that? You don't think it was them barking? Yeah, me either. Oh, and they look like they're in good weight and condition? Can you please let the neighbor know that? Again? Thanks... sigh..." She once complained because my dog was out in the rain(for a few minutes!) without cover. They don't have cover outside because they don't stay outside. They go out to potty and then back in to the couch. She called because they were barking. They weren't. She called because my male looked skinny. He's 37" tall at the shoulder and they do go through a gangly period at about 12-18 months old, but he was totally healthy and being fed 6 cups of super premium food 3 times a day. He's getting older now and has a lick granuloma(open sore that he won't stop licking... fairly common in dogs, but totally sucks) and I'm just waiting for AC to show up again. It's actually been a couple of years now. They're over due <gg>
    we get that kind of call every day out here.... I tell them it's a gt dane, they are supposed to be skinny, if he was as stocky as a lab, he'd be overweight. the one that kills me here is complaining about huskies and malamutes out in the show.... DUH!!!!! where do you think they come from!!!!!!! ALASKAN malamute, SIBERIAN husky....these places just don't sound like a place to sun youself in a bikini!!!!! now, call me when it's 95 degrees out and he's laying in the sun panting and has no water or shelter.... I deal with idiots here all the time....a good portion of the idiots are the people calling us!!!! barking dog calls are a joke...complainant has to do a log, keep track of the exact times the dog barks and when he stops...and do that for 2 weeks, then we can possibly right a ticket if there is enough to be considered a nuisance....we know and the courts know that dogs bark....thats why people have dogs....

In Hog Heaven

Lumpy, I'm with you. I share it here as I know it will be appreciated, but I'm not telling hardly anyone else. PARTICULARLY the neighbors. I may have been born in the marnin', but it wasn't THIS marnin'!
    Last edited by Garter_Gertie; 06-27-2008 at 04:55 PM.

Awww Tami, I really enjoyed seeing Louie!! You may already know this, but, he is GORGEOUS!!!!! :-) My heart was once owned by a rescue dane, Dezi. She was an amazing, goofy, silly, sweet, cuddle bug of a lumox. I miss her so much... cancer. :-(

But, I digress... here is my buzzard sign. :-)

And I agree that it's best to keep peace with the neighbors, and it never hurts to kill them with kindness. But when you try over and over and over and they constantly attack you, you hit a snapping point where it's just all about making them as miserable as they've made you. I've thought about harrassment charges... but decided it's really more fun over-all to irritate the holy hell out of them.

And remember, mine are older. I'll outlive them.
    Lori, New Hope Rescue-- rescuing equines and others
    www.newhoperescueva.com

In Hog Heaven

AH! Lori, I love you! Your take on situations is FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!! Your humor is divine! I LOVE IT!!!