Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!

Re: Great To Be Here!

Wow!
    You guys are really fantastic!
    James: Thanks for the photo info. I am not very good with taking pictures, but I will try to take some over the week-end and post them if I am successful
    Zephyr: I really feel welcome here now!
    beaniesmommy:It is good to know I can get help from snake lovers of all kinds here. I am sure I will be needing it as my snake journey continues!
    Don: WOW! You were right...GREAT WEBSITE!!!! I live in Orem, which is getting pretty urbanized, unfortunately. It could be that the wandering garter came from an orchard that they are pulling up to make room for more condos I wasn't sure how long the snake could go without eating (he was about a foot long, so I guess he knew his way around in the outdoors), but I was getting a little pressure from my mother and brother to put him back out as there were musical refrains of "Born Free" playing in their minds. Mom thinks the garters are cute and my brother is willing to "tolerate" them, but I think he secretly thinks they are kind of fun!
    Anji: Yes, 0 to 12 is actually kind of intimidating at the moment, but with all of you folks, I think my new babies and I should do just fine!
    Tami: Hopefully pictures this week-end. Looks like you have quite a handful of "critters" to keep you busy, too!

Thanks, all for the welcome! I am feeling at home on this site already!!!
    Now I've got to work on using those little smiley-faced icons.....

Greetings
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

Hi, I'm New Here!

James (Adamanteus)
    Thanks for the GREAT website (I am presuming it is yours as you are the moderator, but then again I could be wrong). Stupid question, but I see you are from England. How did you get into garter snakes? I thought they are a North American snake. Do you have similar snakes in the U.K.? Just curious.

Virginia, it's not my site... I'm just one of the Moderators.
    We have no wild Garter Snakes in Europe, as you say Thamnophis are only found in the Americas (not just North America) but they've been around the pet trade over here for ever.... A lifetime spent keeping snakes has meant that sooner or later I was bound to come across Garters....
    I now keep nothing else.
    James.

I am not obsessed.... GartersRock's Avatar

Welcome!! You'll love it here!

Most I ever did in 1 day was 9. lol! But now I have I think 30... But it will be growing super fast from now on.
    Amanda Tolleson

Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi again, everyone!
    reptileparadise/Stefan-A: Thanks for the welcome!
    Stefan-A/gregmonsta: You are both better in that you have started off slowly. I have had animals of all sorts all of my life (and I'm pretty old at this point) so I am hoping I can do well by my new acquisition. I also have several herp. friends who can help if I get into trouble, but I wouldn't recommend this "total immersion" I wasn't sure how this was going to go, but I read that most garter species tend to be more gregarious than other snakes, so I thought I would get several. Well....if I was going to buy several, I thought maybe I should set things up so that I could have a couple of breeding pairs. So Jeff made me an offer for 3 pairs that I could not refuse. I sent him some extra money since the shipping activity was kind of unsettled due to the imminent flooding situation in Iowa and he asked if I wanted to be reimbursed with some extra males (how could I say no?). So what's a few extra snakes among friends, right. Let's hope the babies are OK with the idea, but as I said I got all them to eat, so I think things should go well.
    GartersRock: I will be happy if I can breed mine eventually, but I glad I don’t have to worry about my colony growing any faster at this point!!!
    James: So garters are not just in North America...See, I'm learning things already!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia_In_Utah View Post
    James: So garters are not just in North America...See, I'm learning things already!!!
    North and Central America.

I am not obsessed.... GartersRock's Avatar

Yep. Just take it slow for now and when you have been keeping them for a while and are still interested and are TOTALLY sure you wanna do it, go for it! It's fun!
    Amanda Tolleson

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Odie's Avatar

Hi, from Oregon, Virginia

"First shed In Progress"

Welcome!! Congradulations on your snake collection!! The people here are so nice!! You really came to the right place:-)
    Jenny