Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Iguana?

The Leader of the Eastern Gang anji1971's Avatar

Re: Iguana?

A very impressive collection!! That must keep you pretty busy!
    Anji

The Leader of the Eastern Gang anji1971's Avatar

Oh, and congrats on the new addition Alex! I'm sure you'll get everything sorted out in no time!
    Anji

thanks, we're awaiting on the descision to pay for a cage or try our hand in making one ourselves, my mom even held it today, and we thought she would kick us out of the house and make us put it back were we found it like most reptiles i come home with. They're a little more expensive to care for than origionally thought, but, what isnt anymore.
    Quadruple Sport Enthusiast
    Wrestling
    Track
    Soccer
    Cross Country

Edgy Exotic Reptiles EdgyExoticReptiles's Avatar

im sure building a cage would be the cheapest by far proably save u $$200-400

i found this on the internet "A good size tank to start out with for a baby iguana is a standard 30 to 50 gallon tank. As your iguana grows, it will probably be necessary to build or have built a custom cage. The standard for deciding on cage size is one and one half times the length of the lizard in length, two thirds the length of the lizard in width, and the length of the lizard in height. We have found higher is better. Iguanas love to climb and love to be up high"
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine99 View Post
    thanks, we're awaiting on the descision to pay for a cage or try our hand in making one ourselves, my mom even held it today, and we thought she would kick us out of the house and make us put it back were we found it like most reptiles i come home with. They're a little more expensive to care for than origionally thought, but, what isnt anymore.
    Email:reed@edgyexoticreptiles.com
    http://www.edgyexoticreptiles.com

Thanks reed, we're leaning toward building one aswell, im curious to see how it will turn out though knowing my dads strive for perfection i have faith it will turn out alright.
    Quadruple Sport Enthusiast
    Wrestling
    Track
    Soccer
    Cross Country

"Third shed, A Success" tikichick's Avatar

"Mai kolohe i ka mo' o o lele ka pali" -
    Do not bother lizards or you'll fall off a cliff.

"Third shed, A Success" tikichick's Avatar

Next time he opens his mouth, shove a leafy green in it. Collards are the fave of my igs, followed by turnip and then mustard greens. Thinly sliced (no wider than their heads) yam or yellow squash is another fave. Once you get something in its mouth, you can piggy-back more food - they pull the food toward the back of the mouth with the tongue, so it's like a little conveyor belt. When the first piece of greens is almost all the way in, place another one on top of it and they'll keep chewing. They do love bananas, so that could be a good way to get it started and follow up with the veggies. Some folks will shred the greens into tiny pieces. Mine big ones enjoy tearing them off the stem. I usually tear the greans into pieces the size of their heads, some smaller, some larger. It's easier for them to get a hold of than tiny little bits.

I have some short vids of my big girls eating on youtube:
    YouTube - johnnieranger's Channel
    "Mai kolohe i ka mo' o o lele ka pali" -
    Do not bother lizards or you'll fall off a cliff.

Edgy Exotic Reptiles EdgyExoticReptiles's Avatar

lol ive always wanted to take a iguana or big monitor lizard on a walk it would be priceless to see people's faces
    Email:reed@edgyexoticreptiles.com
    http://www.edgyexoticreptiles.com

gosh
    you make me a little envious
    not that I've got the space, but even if I did, they're illegal to keep in NY
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine99 View Post
    anybody got advice on how to take care of one of these guys? We might be able to get a 30 gallon(high) tank, would that be big enough for a 3 footer? Our impulse kinda took over at a show today and he was 10 bucks so how could we resist him?
    Thanks,

Alex
    Melissa Kaplan has an excellent website on Iguana care. She is probably one of the world's foremost experts on Iguanas, but the website is not too technical for easy reading. I will quote what she says about enclosures below, but you really should visit her site (link below) and browse around if you want to give your Iguana a quality life that makes him or her an enjoyable pet.

Green Iguana Care Sheet and Information - WNYHS

Enclosure: The enclosure for an adult iguana is very large. The enclosure should be at least six feet tall, about 1½ to twice the length of the iguana, and 2/3 to one full length of the iguana wide. For a six foot adult iguana, this is an enclosure that is 9 to 12 feet long, four to six feet wide, and at least six feet tall. Sufficient branches and shelves for climbing and lounging should also be provided. To give you perspective on the size of the enclosure, most small bedrooms are only 9 feet wide. This is why many owners dedicate a separate room as their "iguana room." Some owners also allow their iguanas to "free range" throughout the house. If you allow your iguana to live in its own room or free range, be sure the keep the area the iguana will frequent free of small objects that the iguana may accidentally ingest.
    KitKat
    "Acts of kindness should never be random."