Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: question?

Re: question?

I thought you'd get some other comments about measuring sheds yesterday, so I didn't say anything. Shed skins are typically about 15% larger than the actual snake (more or less) since the skin is designed to expand between the scales after a snake eats a large meal (and to accomodate growth). One of my snakes recently shed. Her skin measured 26" long, but her body was only 22".

To get a more reliable measurement, check out the software that Sid recently introduced (http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/gene...-software.html), or gently straighten it between your hands. Just don't pull from the head/neck area since the joint connecting their vertebrae to their skull is fairly fragile. Hold them 1/2 inch or so behind the skull. If they're particularly resistant, just straighten them a bit until they tire out. Then you can straighten them the rest of the way for an accurate measurement.

** Remember that it's better not to measure your snake than to harm it if you're uncomfortable or unsure about this method. **

Even if the snake is only around 29", it's still a pretty big male.

Re: question?

Quote Originally Posted by Cazador View Post
    I thought you'd get some other comments about measuring sheds yesterday, so I didn't say anything. Shed skins are typically about 15% larger than the actual snake (more or less) since the skin is designed to expand between the scales after a snake eats a large meal (and to accomodate growth). One of my snakes recently shed. Her skin measured 26" long, but her body was only 22".

To get a more reliable measurement, check out the software that Sid recently introduced (http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/gene...-software.html), or gently straighten it between your hands. Just don't pull from the head/neck area since the joint connecting their vertebrae to their skull is fairly fragile. Hold them 1/2 inch or so behind the skull. If they're particularly resistant, just straighten them a bit until they tire out. Then you can straighten them the rest of the way for an accurate measurement.

** Remember that it's better not to measure your snake than to harm it if you're uncomfortable or unsure about this method. **

Even if the snake is only around 29", it's still a pretty big male.
    Well, this is the male I was refering to in this thread. He has shed a couple more times, but really hasn't grown much if at all. Now that people here agree that it is a male than I guess he is a good size. Have a look-ee-see http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/gene...-part-2-a.html
    Mike