Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Hello from Reptastic!

Hi Shannon, and welcome! Coooool, another snakey mind to pick for info!! :-) I could not see your pic, just a red x... sigh... maybe it'll pop up for me later.
    Lori, New Hope Rescue-- rescuing equines and others
    www.newhoperescueva.com

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

you know now that you guys say that. She very well could be a maritime. Maritimes and Easterns are very much alike! I did not find ANY other maritimes on that trip. They were all very dark easterns with a nice stripe. She was found in the pocono mountain area at arrowhead lake, Pennsylvania. There is one odd thing about this specimen. if you notice her labial scales. what would normally be the second labial scale from her nose is actually divided in half, giving her a count of 8 and not 7 labial scales on each side of her mouth. I was under the impression that both maritimes and easterns have 7. at least, all of mine do. Correct me if I am wrong, I am only 19 after all and I of course make mistakes. But this divided scale is not as well separated as the other scales if you know what I mean. I am going to write a full post about her right now in an apporpriate forum and I'll inclide more pics of her and her BABIES!!!!

The Leader of the Eastern Gang anji1971's Avatar

Hello and welcome!! That snake is gorgeous, lucky you to find it!!!
    Anji

"Third shed, A Success" tikichick's Avatar

Welcome to the forum! Beautiful snake!
    "Mai kolohe i ka mo' o o lele ka pali" -
    Do not bother lizards or you'll fall off a cliff.

It can sometimes happen that scales sub-divide to give a higher count, or occasional fuse together to form lower counts. It isn't rare to see the larger head scutes (pre-frontals, frontals, parietals etc) fused together to form larger plates.
    James.

Quote Originally Posted by aSnakeLovinBabe View Post
    you know now that you guys say that. She very well could be a maritime. Maritimes and Easterns are very much alike! I did not find ANY other maritimes on that trip. They were all very dark easterns with a nice stripe. She was found in the pocono mountain area at arrowhead lake, Pennsylvania. There is one odd thing about this specimen. if you notice her labial scales. what would normally be the second labial scale from her nose is actually divided in half, giving her a count of 8 and not 7 labial scales on each side of her mouth. I was under the impression that both maritimes and easterns have 7. at least, all of mine do. Correct me if I am wrong, I am only 19 after all and I of course make mistakes. But this divided scale is not as well separated as the other scales if you know what I mean. I am going to write a full post about her right now in an apporpriate forum and I'll inclide more pics of her and her BABIES!!!!
    Well I don't think you've got a pallidulus now, the Pocono's are well outside the range of this subspecies. To my knowledge they've not been recorded here in PA. As far as the labial count.....yeh, like James said, sometimes that can happen and really play with you when you're trying to ID a snake! Looks like a really nice morph of sirtalis. Since it sounds like you're going to breed it, hope the characteristic carries over into the offspring. It'll be interesting to see what you get.
    Roy
    0.1 T.s.pallidulus

Welcome to the forum and enjoy it here
    Greetz, Hans

Fear can hold you prisoner. Hope can set you free.
    -The Shawshank Redemption-
    www.kousebandslangen.nl

Quote Originally Posted by aSnakeLovinBabe View Post
    Hi there! I'm a Super Moderator over at reptastic.com,
    So, what differentiates between a moderator and a super moderator? I quite fancy that title. Perhaps I'll alter mine, maybe when I reach 5,000 posts.
    James.

Super moderators invite us all over for dinner once a month and give us all one free snake of our choice.
    Lori, New Hope Rescue-- rescuing equines and others
    www.newhoperescueva.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lori P View Post
    Super moderators invite us all over for dinner once a month and give us all one free snake of our choice.
    sounds good
    does that include airfare?
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain